Need technical advice... Please!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BlakeVic, Jun 8, 2010.

1. BlakeVic macrumors newbie

I am researching the Macbook pro with the intention of making a purchase... However, I currently have some technical questions about which specifications are going to personally work best. I am a recently graduated college student and need the Macbook for typical business professional and recreational usage. ( browsing, music, video...)

I am interested in the 500gb hard drive offered and I have specked it out with the 2.44GHz processor. My first question....

Will the size of the hard drive affect the processor? If so... Regarding the 500gb hard drive.... Should I also consider the 2.66GHz?

Option #1... I would like to purchase the 2.44GHz processor with the 500GB hard drive and 4GB of memory.??? But not at the cost of sacrificing performance.

Option #2.... Purchase the 2.66GHz with 500GB hard drive and 4GB memory.???
    (Have read that unless your a gamer or working with complex editing software, which I am not, that 2.44GHz processing speed and 4GB of memory should be more than sufficient for typical usage.???)

Otherwise... Option #3..... Purchase the 2.44GHz with 320GB of hard drive and 4GB of memory.???
    (Would prefer the extra 180GB of hard drive.... But again not at the cost of sacrificing performance.)

Just not sure which option is going to PERFORM the BEST regarding my needs.

Any advice or additional options to consider would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The size of the HDD will not affect the CPU.

Otherwise I would have a very slow work computer with its 12+ TB of HDDs. ;)

So go with the 2.4GHz model and either use Apple's offer for the bigger HDD or upgrade it yourself.

3. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

If you need the space, get the 500GB. It will not affect the processor in any way. I think you'll be fine with the 2.4GHz. The difference between 2.4 and 2.66 will not be that noticeable.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

HD size has nothing to do with the CPU

Any Mac from past few years is fine for your purpose. You can always get the stock HD and upgrade later on if needed and get up to 1TB