Need the best vid Card for 1,1 that actually displays bootloader

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MrWizard64, Feb 13, 2014.

1. MrWizard64 macrumors member

Well the title says it all.... I am going to need to boot to different drives pretty regularly, and currently my 5770 doesn't allow me to view the bootloader display. I need this to be compatible with Mavericks as well.

I have a 1,1 currently running Lion

I'm thinking about the Mac Edition 7950... I just need to make sure it works for Mav and the default OSX bootloader.

Other than that, I need 3 display support... but maybe not as I could always just stick my 5770 in there and just use it for the extra ports.

I would love to hear a few suggestions... my price range is up to $300... maybe $350 on ebay.

Thanks for your help guys!

2. DanielCoffey macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey

You could also look at the free app BootChamp as it allows you to swap between your Boot OSX and any attached Windows drive at a single click.

3. ScubaGos macrumors newbie

I'm curious to see the answer to this as well, as I'm about to try and upgrade my 2006, MacPro 1,1 from it's default video card, the NVidia GeForce 7300Gt 256MB.

I thought the 5770 allowed the bootloader, or is yours a flashed 5770, not the apple one?

4. teameurox macrumors regular

I'm also in a similar situation. I'm torn between staying the AMD route or going with NVIDIA and change my GPU setups.

I currently have an Apple OEM 5770 and then a Flashed 5770.

Is your 5770 flashed? If so have you tried a different rom.

As far as wanting to upgrade ----- you have two routes.

Try to reflash the 5770 to get boot screens
    Then flash a 7950 or 7970 (will also allow bootscreens if done correctly). This combination will allow for bootcamp to also function properly. It is vital though to keep the 5770 to function in Lion as the 79xx will not.

-----OR-----

Go the Nvidia route.

For GUI and bootscreens you need to source a 32bit EFI GT120 macvid sells them or get your hands on a evga single slot 8800gt and flash it.
    Then you can throw in practically any GTX card and you got the best of both worlds----
    8800gt/32bit EFI GT120 Bootscreens
    GTX 660/70/80 or GTX 760/70/80

the 32bit EFI is still the issue when it comes to graphics cards. Use Tiamo's boot efi and your golden on the Mavericks install