Need Time Capsule Advise

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by lrodk, Dec 19, 2008.

1. lrodk macrumors newbie

I recently had to erase the HD on my iMac and do a complete restore from my external Time Machine drive. Luckily everything,including programs, were restored to where they were during the last backup. This mishap underscored the importance of having everything backed-up and made me truly appreciate Time Machine. As a result I'm considering adding Time Capsule as a secondary Time Machine drive(in addition to the G-drive I have connected via firewire),to act as a back-up to the back-up. I was wondering if I'd be able to do that if I install TC using the "Bridge to an existing network" option during setup. Would I be able to manage my backups by changing the volume in Time Machine's settings from TC to my G-Force HD, or vice versa? To be clear, i want two full back-up records on seperate drives at any given time. I am accustomed to doing my back-ups manually as I don't want my back-up HD running continuously or every hour or so as is suggested by Apple. My feeling is that my external HD will last longer by not being powered-on 24/7. Another reason why I like TC over simply getting a second external HD is because of the networking capability of TC. I get a very weak signal as it is in my basement and I'm hopeful this will improve streaming to my ps3 and iPhone when I'm downstairs. Cheers,Luis

2. kfresh macrumors newbie

I don't think Time Machine will be able to do this because you can only target one disk at a time. It will be a mess if you are using a Time Capsule. I have a suggestion that might be of interest. I have a time capsule that handles my time machine backups and a separate hard drive that I keep a Superduper backup on. Superduper is cool because it keeps a full backup that is bootable too. You might want to check it out.

3. dylanbrown macrumors 6502

No, that's something you cannot do.

However, here's something that you can do with the Time Capusle is archive the built in HD to an external USB HD.

But for what you want it to do, it's impossible!