Need Timecapsule advice Moving from a D-Link G w/FiOS

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by zepharus, Apr 29, 2008.

1. zepharus macrumors 6502a

zepharus

I need some advice. My DLink Gamerlounge just bit it and Ive been thinking about a Timecapsule for a while.

I have 2 Macs (MBP2.4pen & Alu iMac) running Leopard, and 2 PC's running XP. One PC will be using Ethernet and the other is a Wireless G Dell laptop. Obviously both Mac's have 802.11n. I have a 30mbs/5mbs Verizon FiOS connection that was originally set up as a PPoE that i can call in to change. I also have an Xbox360 on this setup wirelessly also.

My question is how easy will I be able to make all this work? I want the fastest possible speeds and ease of use. My biggest issue is before is that I was unable to get shared printing from my Macs as the printers connected to the PCs wouldnt print from the Macs. I realize also that the Xbox360 might be an issue. Any help here is appreciated....

2. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Your biggest issue is going to be the G clients on the network. They will bring down the speeds of all the N devices on the network.

You could pick up a cheaper G router and have both, with the G router serving G only traffic, and the TC serving N only traffic.

A lot of people, including myself have done this. Check out this thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=472006

-Kevin