Need tips for making battery last on flight

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Raima, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Raima macrumors 6502

Hey guys,

I'm going overseas soon on a 10hr flight. I'd like to use my rMBP15 for entertainment while on the flight need to make the battery last as long as possible.

I'm going to be running a game through parallels. All the graphics settings are set to low.

I'm thinking of switching off wifi, and dimming the screen display.

Are there any other things I should consider to make the battery last longer?

Any help is much appreciated :)

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

3. simsaladimbamba

Running a game through a VM will be CPU intensive and probably get you three to four hours of battery life ONLY, most likely even less.

Maybe take a book or two with you or your MBA too to compensate for not being able to use the MacBook Pro with Retina Display for ten hours.

4. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

What game? If it's anything that requires dedicated graphics you can kiss half your battery goodbye.

gfxCardStatus will let you restrict it to the Intel onboard graphics, so that would be step 1. Make sure your keyboard backlight is off (though I have never found this to matter all that much) as well as BT and WiFi antennae. Aside from trying to avoid CPU-intensive work there's not a whole lot else you can do.

5. CC424 macrumors regular

I did a lot of international traveling last year and most flights were equipped with chargers in business class.

6. Raima thread starter macrumors 6502

Playing XCOM: Enemy Unknown. Totally addicted to it lol

Only got 256GB SSD, so hard drive space is a premium.

Is it possible to get like a 64GB Class 10 memory card or a 64GB USB stick and bootcamp off that. Would that be a better solution?

Diam, flying as a family. There's 6 of us. Don't think we can all upgrade. U reckon we can run an extention cord from business class? lols