Need tips on buying a new Mac Laptop

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by vishaluae, Mar 14, 2015.

1. vishaluae macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

New to this forum!

Anyway, I just finished learning how to develop iOS apps using Swift and now am looking forward in applying for jobs. So far, I've been studying the course at a center on an iMac.

I personally do not own any Mac machine and am looking forward to making my first purchase. I am a little confused as to which model should I go for. I wish to purchase an Apple laptop so that I can carry it around to and from work

I will be using this Mac solely for iOS development.

I do not wish to spend a lot of money on it and get a super high end model. Anything that could develop apps without any hiccup at all is what I need.

So which model do you people suggest I go for? Also is 4GB RAM sufficient for developing, or do I need to go for 8GB of RAM? No specific budget in mind as of now.

Thanks in advance!

2. chogue23 macrumors member

If you are willing to go used, I think the sweet spot for Macbooks is the 2012 Macbook Pro in the 13 inch or the 15 inch. This was the first model with USB 3, and last set before the Retinas took over. The 15 inch was also the last portable to include the quad core i7 processor, which would come in handy for development. I would suggest going ahead with 8gb of ram because it really isnt that expensive to upgrade. A machine like this can be found for right at $1000 for the 15 inch or $700 for the 13 inch dual core. Memory upgrade to 8gb will run you $50 and 16gb is $120. The memory will come in handy when you start testing your programs and you can have more than one program version working at the same time to find changes between them and figuring out which bugs were created when you fixed the first set. Also a larger monitor is nice for coding and having code and app running on the same screen or dual screens.

3. David58117 macrumors 65816

Don't go used for a 3 year old computer. And any 15" will be a quad core..the retinas are much better values now a days..

Assuming you're in the US, there are tons of sales going on right now. You can get a 13" 2014 retina new for $1,150 from best buy...but before that, go to USPS and get a movers coupon (10% off), and if you have a .edu email, you can sign up for a $50 off coupon. They can be used together.

People are walking out of Best Buy with new 2014 13" rMBP for under $1,000..

4. tibas92013 macrumors 6502

Thanx for your reply and do you get these great prices via the internet or visiting the Best Buy Brick and Mortar?

5. BGBUXA macrumors member

Best Buy

you will need to go into the Best Buy store to get the deal.

6. BobMcC macrumors newbie

I purchased the 2014 model rMBP and returned it for the 2015 because I was within my 14 days and made a dumb decision to not wait for the 3/9 Apple announcement. Admittedly I'm not an experienced Mac user but I can't tell any difference between the two machines in my everyday use. I know what the published spec differences are but if you can get a 2014 with Retina for $1000 new at Best Buy I would jump on it quick.

7. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety