Need to access G5 from new Mac Mini....Help?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hellodon, Feb 4, 2010.

1. hellodon macrumors 6502

I got a new mac mini here at work, and need to transfer things from my old G5 tower.

So I figure "okay, i'll just hook up a firewire cable and target disk the G5 and pull what I need from it" but alas, it's not that easy.

The new Mac Mini comes with a convenient Firewire 800 port ONLY. I only have 1 monitor so hooking them up separately to the network and doing a shared file transfer isnt an easy option either.

What the hell am I supposed to do? I mean, I know I can order a firewire 400 to 800 adapter and do it that way but seriously? That's the only option? I have an external drive, but its not that big and I've got about 70GB to transfer. I was thinking about doing it in pieces...unhooking the monitor, hooking it back up to the new machine, hooking up the hard drive between both and transferring...but thats a pain in the butt too!

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

There are also 6-pin to 9-pin Firewire cables, but not every store might have them though.

Why not use the monitor to first setup the Power Mac to share its files, then use the monitor on the Mini to download the files?

If you have Mac OS 10.5 on the Power Mac you can even enable Screen Sharing, that way you can even use the Power Mac remotely from the Mini.

3. hellodon thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm....I do have 10.5 on the G5. For some reason I thought that if I take the monitor connection from the G5, it would no longer work. Ill give this a try thanks!