Need to access Time Machine backup on Windows computer

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LowBattery, May 15, 2014.

1. LowBattery macrumors newbie

Hello!

Recently my Macbook's LCD panel went kaput. As a good little Mac user, I've used Time Machine regularly. Unfortunately, at this time I can not afford to repair the panel (quoted price >$500), but I have very important files on it.

Is there a way to convert my Time Machine backup to a format that can be read by a Windows machine?

I've asked my friends, neighbors, and random strangers if I can either borrow their Mac or a plug-and-play monitor in order to drag and drop the files on the original hard drive, but so far have no takers.

Can anyone offer help?

Thanks so much!

2. I'm a ROb macrumors member

Hi,

What city are you in? Perhaps a Macrumors member nearby can help you out.

Is it just the LCD that is broken? Then you could still connect to your mac over a network connection (assuming it's already enabled). You might also have a chance with connecting over ssh, but that requires some terminal/bash experience.

Your time machine most like is HFS+ formatted. There are windows tools available that would read HFS+. A quick search on the web gave me http://hfsplus.codeplex.com and http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive. I have NO experience with either of them and I'm sure there are more of these programs.

Good luck!

3. LowBattery thread starter macrumors newbie

I am near Buffalo, NY. That would be wonderful, but I won't hold my breath. :)

I don't know if it's enabled. Can I do that through my wifi router? (I'm not especially tech-savvy.)

I will google this.

Thanks! I will look at those links. :)

4. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Even if there was , IMO you'd be crazy to risk your data to such a conversion process. As said, use an App on Windows that allows you to read Mac formatted drives.

5. Yakibomb macrumors 6502

Yakibomb

Install the bootcamp drivers onto your windows PC (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1720), this should let you view the files :)
    I might be wrong but this worked for me a few years back when I was in a similar situation.

6. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Why not add an external monitor to your MBP? You can find them dirt cheap on Craigslist or in thrift shops. I've seen plenty for less than $40. Just use it like a desktop and copy your files off to a fat32 drive so you can read it on any system.

7. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Best suggestion so far by a mile. Or borrow a monitor if you can.

8. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Use MacDrive, there's a free 5-day trial if you just want to grab some files & copy them over from the backup to your Windows box.