Need to backup Mac - USB ports not working

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nickuboe, Nov 25, 2013.

1. nickuboe macrumors newbie

Hi,
    So I have the same problem many others have had - every time i connect something into my USB port, it is deactivated because it was requiring too much power. I have googled around a lot and found loads of "solutions" that don't work...
    This is just one of many problems that I'm having with this mac (15-inch macbook pro, mid 2010), so i've spoiled myself and ordered a new macbook.

The issue i'm mainly looking to solve is backing up my mac (approx. 500 gb)... The USB ports don't work, which makes it problematic. I'm not too keen on spending a fortune on a time capsule, because my current harddrive won't connect to my mac. Is it possible to "connect" to another computer and back it up via that?

If anyone has a solution to solve the original problem, which are nonfunctional USB-ports, that would also work:) (I would try to re-install the whole OS, but this again leads to me having to backup the computer)

So any feedback related to alternatives to backing up my mac or fixing the usb issue would be great!

Thanks in advance!

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You could connect the two machines with an ethernet cable then enable file sharing on the old machine. Then just use the Finder on the new machine to drag over whatever files you want.