Need to be able to play anything (within reason)

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by wlh99, Jun 16, 2010.

1. wlh99 macrumors 6502

I have a Mac Pro, aja Kona card, Final Cut studio, Virtual VTR, and a number of other misc transcoding applications(MPEG streamclip, handbrake etc.)

I have a simple need with no apparent solution. We get files from many sources, and I need to play them out the Kona card. As is, some play with VVTR, some play with Final Cut, some play in Final Cut but need rendered first. Most I can transcode to play in final cut with MPEG streamclip or handbrake.

The thing is, it is critical that I have a single program that will just load and play the file. I'm not talking about uncommon stuff, MPEG2, MPEG4, H.264. Some are wrapped in AVI, some .mov, and some are m4v or mpg. All at NTSC or ATSC framerates and resolutions-no scaling or up/downconversion needs to take place.The KONA outputs in SDI or HD-SDI and we can autodetect what is coming out of it and deal with it appropriately.

I'm able to spend money, (substantial if nessasary) but it seems very elusive to find a program that will play anything I have a codec for.

FWIW, we also have some Avids as well, if you know of a way to do this on a PC that will work as well.