Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wacky69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2008
hello

i have a 3g. every so often i need to be able to access a server of mine via internet/phone signal and play an mp3 at a location where i do not
have a computer. i would like to know if it is possible to play an mp3, uninterrupted by text or calls, for the full duration of the mp3.

i know i can currently play the mp3 after it has downloaded into safari's cache.

is there a way to:

1) transfer an mp3 onto the 3g via safari and play it without interruption (perhaps airplane mode). i do realize this may involve a player other
than qt or itunes.

2) access the cache to safari after the mp3 has downloaded and play it while in airplane mode to avoid interruption.

3) the other option would be to convert the mp3 files to files itunes can play on a separate server, but that still leaves the problem
of how to get the files into the 3g other than itunes store using safari.

any help is greatly appreciated

thank you

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
There are probably other solutions, but here's a quick one I thought of:

If you pay for Apple's MobileMe service, you can put the MP3s on your iDisk and access them on your phone using the free app "MobileFiles."

It lets you select a file and download it to the phone and then access that file even when you're offline.

If someone else has a free idea, great. But otherwise this should do exactly what you need.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
So, I gather you just can't place it on your iPod?

Non-jailbroken method: add an app that can let you download files (in your case an mp3). Apps like iStorage or Folders can do this. From these apps you should be able to play the mp3. To make sure you can play the mp3 uninterrupted (by calls etc..) you can place your phone on Airplane mode.

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
you would have to have wifi access.

Turn on airplane mode, the manually turn wifi back on.

Go to safari, navigate to your server/file and play the mp3...

MacToddB

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
Rochester, NY
go right to voicemail?

I think the original poster's concern was about not having the MP3 interrupted by a voicecall. If so, I think the responses would still be inadequate.

There might be a way to have the original MP3 sent to your phone using a dialer program and recorded as a voicemail, and then use visual voicemail to retrieve it. Like a 'robocall' so popular in elections. Should be easy to research.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.