Need to buy a few Apple Tv : new or refurbished ?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by FrenchPB, Oct 25, 2013.

1. FrenchPB macrumors 6502

Hey all,

I want to buy a couple of Apple TV for my new apartment and for my parents house. Since the refurbished version is €24 less than the new version, I'd like to know whether you'd recommend to get that one or if the risk of having problem in the long terme is not worth the saving ?

Do yo think a refurbished device will have a shorter life than a new one ? Is there a risk of getting a product with scratches (aTV or remote) for example ?

Thanks for your advice. I thought it'd be nice to get the saving from buying 4 or 5 Apple TV, but if you consider there could be trouble I won't risk it.

2. pinholestars macrumors member

pinholestars

I buy almost all of my Apple stuff from the refurb store. Still comes with a year warranty, so I don't see any issue getting one :)

3. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

Apple refurbs are the best. Go Apple Refurb all the way!

4. ultra7k macrumors 6502

ultra7k

Have one that was bought new, one that was bough refurbished, both are ATV 3s. No difference between the two, and I haven't had a problem yet that couldn't be solved by doing a reboot.

5. PhilaScott macrumors regular

PhilaScott

(<--is that a thumb's up or a chicken?) Refurb all the way!

I purchased quite a number of Apple products on the refurb store and have never had a single problem with any of them... same warranties and from my understanding, they actually go through more quality controls after reconditioning before they're sold through the refurb supply chain.

6. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

One more vote for the refurbished ones. Apple's refurbs are, for all intents and purposes, the same as new ones.

7. Jayrcee macrumors regular

Jayrcee

8. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

The last AppleTV I bought that was new was the original. The AppleTV 2 and the two AppleTV 3's I have were all refurbished and zero issues. They are well over a year old now.

If I can, I buy refurbished from Apple unless I am looking to get a BTO Mac. Same warranty and some good savings. I've had less issues with refurbished apple products over the last 10 years or so than I have had with new ones.

Just my experience.