Need to buy VMWare or Parallels

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bigdaddymac, Mar 19, 2009.

1. bigdaddymac macrumors regular

I have one windows program which I need to run on my mac. I need to buy VM Ware or Parallels, don't really care which, just looking for the best/cheapest deal out there. Anyone know of any good deals? Seems a few months ago I saw lots of deals for rebates, etc., but I can't find much of anything now.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

I happened to see both on the shelf at Futureshop yesterday. VMware was 89.99 with a $30 MIR. Parallels was $99 and no rebates. I have parallels on my MB, but everyone I talk to prefers VMware.

3. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

With Fusion/Parallels, you need a WGA license. See if your program will work with this: http://www.codeweavers.com/

4. bigdaddymac thread starter macrumors regular

That's a great idea. Alas, I checked, and the one program I need to use - QuickBooks 2007 - does not work with Crossover.

5. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

parallels does seem to have a slight advantage when it comes to recent versions.

6. trip1ex macrumors 68000

Try VirtualBox. It's free. It's working for me.

7. The Hammer macrumors regular

I've seen test where Parallels runs better /faster.

8. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

+1 for VirtualBox.

I've used Parallels and I've used VirtualBox and in my eyes, they're equal - except in price of course. (I have NOT used VMWare, however...) I've used VB for over a year now and its fine for the occasional Windows use.

9. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I used both parallels and VMWare, if i had to pick between them i would go for VMWare. It is faster, litter and i have had less problems with it.

10. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

Even out of the current versions? I am using parallels and it seems to be doing ok.

11. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

I prefer Fusion, despite what Parallels say Fusion actually works better with the new Windows 7. Fusion also works better with bootcamp partitions. Parallels is slightly faster, but only if your using a quad or octicore system, Mac Pro etc, for normal dual core Core2Duo machines its slower than fusion.

12. dmz macrumors regular

dmz

Another hit for Virtual Box!

Add another point for Virtual Box - it's free, and it's at least as good as the first two revs of Parallels. One limitation - it can't run anything older than XP.

I benchmarked Parallels 3 and Fusion 2 about a year ago, and at that time Fusion was faster - on multi-core machines that is, because Parallels couldn't use more than one core, but all that has changed. Parallels 4 is now faster than Fusion in most tasks, but don't take anybody's word for it, check the facts yourself, check out the benchmarks at:

http://www.mactech.com/articles/mactech/Vol.25/25.04/VMBenchmarks/index.html

dmz

13. jovanboi macrumors member

Going to add another point for Virtualbox. I use it occasionally for running Ubuntu 8.10 and I've had no issues with it...it's equally awesome that it is free. So I would say maybe try that.

14. Aegelward macrumors 6502

I don't know if it's just me, but Fusion just felt better put together than Parallels, it feels like a far more robust software package.

15. turtlebud macrumors 6502a

16. Advance The Man macrumors 6502

Why can't you use bootcamp if it's an infrequent program used?

17. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Another vote for VirtualBox. It's free and works fine.

18. opeter macrumors 65816

opeter

VirtualBox is free only for personal use. Don't forget that!

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Editions

19. jlamb0 macrumors member

Yet another vote for VirtualBox

Try VirtualBox before you do anything with Parallels or Fusion. I've been using it to run Windows XP for almost a year, and I have absolutely no complaints.

20. Advance The Man macrumors 6502

Again, why can't you just use Bootcamp? My intel iMac is on the way and currently only have PPC G4. Thought with Bootcamp you can have XP, but you have to boot either or.

21. Benchmob31 macrumors member

Benchmob31

You can't use OSX and windows at the same time with bootcamp. I use Fusion and it's awsome. That's my vote. Plus I got it for $30 on eBay.

22. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Very good point. I assume he's talking personal use, since he never mentioned anything about a company... but then again, I am OFTEN wrong. :D I use VirtualBox with my Mini and Macbook for when I need Microsoft Office - yeah, I know its available for Mac, but I already own the PC version (2007), and my Mac version is OLD. :)

EDIT: Err, wait... Hey, OP - is QuickBooks for a business venture? If so, I change my vote to Parallels. If not (and I can't imagine why), then stick with VirtualBox. (See guys, I told you I'm OFTEN wrong.)

23. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I have no tried either one of them in the last 6 months to be honest so i would not know.

24. evillageprowler macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

I use vmware often: free stuff on xp and linux, and paid enterprise version at work. This stuff supports linux, sol10x86 and windows nicely. The free stuff requires some tweaking to get the system clock working nicely on a fedora8 guest instance. Otherwise, it's quite nice. I've no experience specifically with fusion, parallels, virtualbox or bootcamp.

Good luck! Don't forget that you'll need to pay for an oem license of windows.

EVP

25. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

yes use virtualbox