Need to change language after Windows 7 install

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by jshelton, Dec 15, 2010.

1. jshelton macrumors 6502a

I installed VM Fusion, and then Windows 7 Home Premium. I accidentally clicked some language other than English as the main language, and the install started. Can anyone help me change the language to English within the settings? I...um...can't read any of the options under the start menu.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I'm sorry to say it, but you are probably better off reinstalling from scratch it'll be faster than trying to fix it. (I've been there, done that when I needed to have a copy of Windows that was in Chinese).

B

3. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Control Panel, then click on 'Clock, Language, and Region' (Icon looks like a globe with a clock in category view)

Click the green title. Under 'Region and Language' click 'Change Display language'
    (2nd option on the top row)

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

[​IMG]
    It wasn't that easy to find in Vista. You might just be able to do it from category view itself, though that could be only for Ultimate. (see image).

(But you still could easily have re-installed in the time it took to get a response).

B

5. jshelton thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay, that's what I'm confused about; I did reinstall it. I actually UN-installed Fusion, re-installed it, and then installed Windows & again. It's not giving me the language option now. It's just automatically defaulting to the other language. Any ideas on that?

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Did you actually delete your VM? It sounds like you may have just reinstalled Windows over the top of the old installation.

From the Virtual Machine Library window, right-click your VM and choose Delete. Then press Move to Trash.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Or quick format the partition to NTFS during the install.

B

8. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

I did the same thing: I didn't choose a language, it just defaulted to Spanish. I deleted the install and tried again, and it's still in Spanish. I had previously installed the same windows 7 disk to a MacBook pro in bootcamp, and it installed just fine in english.

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Are you installing it yourself or letting VMware install it for you?

10. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

I was using vmware through the "easy install" method. I guess I should try installing it myself. :)

11. jshelton thread starter macrumors 6502a

I uninstalled Fusion completely, reinstalled it, and reinstalled Windows 7 again. It worked fine this time and asked for the language. I think previously when I uninstalled it, I didn't remove all of the files so it was still defaulting to the language that it used before. It is working great! Thanks for your help everybody.

I don't need to install the drivers disc for Windows 7, do I?

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You might need drivers for the iSight and maybe a couple of other USB devices that persist in the VM.

B

13. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

This is what I did, but I still got Spanish on the second install. I'll try again tonight. Thank you.

14. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I've only used "Easy Install" once, and it went and put American settings everywhere that I had to manually change afterwards. I've always installed manually since then :)

15. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

After my first install, I tried to ascertain the correct control panels to change the settings from Spanish to English, but I somehow switched them to Portuguese. :D

16. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

Hmmm, now the "Delete" command is grayed out.

Never mind: I had to suspend it first.

17. jshelton thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well...since this thread is already going, what do you all use Windows 7 for on your Macs?

I am just trying the VMware trial, and I had a copy of W7. I really have no need for Windows, I have just always wanted to try Parallels or Fusion.

What do you specifically use the Windows VM for? I am trying to decide if I really want to purchase it after the trial is up.

18. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

I'm going to use it for Quicken. I've tried Quicken Essentials for Mac, and I just can't get used to it.

Bypassing the Easy Install method worked: I was relieved to see the English language choice.

19. Lona macrumors newbie