Need to choose calibrator

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by hyphygreek, May 24, 2010.

1. hyphygreek macrumors newbie

I have the apple cinema HD 30" and I need to choose a screen calibrator. I need to set my monitor so i can do color grading. Any suggestions?

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Granted everyone has a different threshold for what's 'good enough' but long story short it's not possible to use a 30" ACD as a color accurate video monitor. FCP and Color are designed to just send proxy quality images onto the connect computer displays. The computer's GFX card is designed to send out a computer video signal and not a standard, broadcast video signal and the display itself was not manufactured to be a color accurate display for video.

Your only possible change is to buy the original Matrox MXO (not the MXO 2 or Mini but the original MXO) and give that a whirl but the 30" ACD isn't on the supported monitor list.

Lethal

3. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Oh come on, any sort of color calibration will generally be better than none. I have a Spyder 3 pro and it works pretty well on my two 24" dell monitors. Any sort of color calibration will generally be better than none.

4. Richardthe4th macrumors regular

Color calibration for foto's is different then movies. Movies have different color room etc. Calibrating your lcd is for foto's

What I have done is a 2nd hand CRT television monitor (simple jvc) and a matrox mxo2 mini. Also works with color.

So perhaps you can better spend your money on such a thing. But that's of course up to you :)

Good luck. Richard