Need to clear something up...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sehnsucht, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Sehnsucht macrumors 65816

:D Just got into an argument today with an extremely pissed-off friend whose $3,100 MacBook Pro is having graphics card issues. I believe it's one from the batch that have the faulty NVIDIA cards. His screen shows vertical purple and green lines over a field of gray snow, and he almost s**t his pants when it started. (His dad did too, since he'd loaned him most of the money to get it.) :mad:

Now, he felt the need to tear into me since I was the one who talked him out of an Alienware in favor of a Mac. :D I didn't recommend any particular Mac, just a MAC. He went with the MacBook Pro, and now it's acting up.

"Well, why the f**k is it doing this s**t? Macs are supposed to 'just work', aren't they?!?!" :D

Soooo, I bring it up because I've been reading a ton of posts on here from people with the same mindset. I am fully aware of what an irritating ordeal having problems like this is. It's annoying, disappointing and freaking expensive to fix. BUT...here's the deal:

So you got a defective one. Last time I checked, anything manufactured can be defective. It happens. Including Macs. Nobody's saying Macs are perfect...nothing is! :rolleyes: If you have a truckload of apples, several will have worms in them. ;) What irritates me is people who buy their first Mac, the spacebar sticks, and they howl, "BUT IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO DO THIS, IT'S PERFECT, REMEMBER?!" I love it when they say, "I've had problem X, problem Y and problem Z, and now I'm tempted to switch back to a PC." Cry me big freaking river and go kayaking in it. :D A faulty NVIDIA graphics card isn't even an Apple hardware problem anyway, it's an NVIDIA hardware problem. :p

"Hi, I'm a PC and Macs are perfect....or at least, I THOUGHT they were!!!" rotflmao

2. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

What are clearing up? Was there a question in there I missed or was it just a rant?

3. puma1552 macrumors 601

do you have a point?

did you offer to help your friend and explain the QC issues or did you just laugh?

4. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

so tell him to take it to an apple store. they will fix it 2 years past the original warranty if it's a faulty gpu.

5. Sehnsucht thread starter macrumors 65816

Goodness no. :eek: I felt bad at first because it was my idea to begin with, plus it got him into deep debt to his dad. :rolleyes: I just wonder about this "I'm switching to Linux" crap. I like Fedora a lot...in fact a Sony VAIO running Fedora is the next thing on my Christmas wish list after a Mac Pro. (Not to mention the only reason I'd ever get a PC.) :D Get a Mac and Linux.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You're still not clearing anything up, as a matter of fact, you're making things more confusing.

7. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Problem solved....

8. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

The OP makes a point of not making a point.

9. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi