Need to clone 2014 MBP to 2017 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sean Dempsey, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

I have a work computer that is a 2014 MBP. I got an upgrade to the new USB-C one with the touchbar. Not super excited, but whatever.

I'd like to try and clone my old one to the new one. But I am baffled as to how, physically, I know CCC can do it, or Chronosync, or even carbon copy cloner, OR even migration assistant too - but how the hell do I hook the computers together? And - will it even work?

I try to think about it, and it vexes me. I suppose I could try and clone it to a external USB3 drive? Then once I have that, use a USB-C adapter to clone it to the new one? Is it even possible to migrate a 2014 MBP to a 2017? I am not even sure I want this new touchbar version with all the setup it's going to take to get me back to where I was, and the 2014 seems to still be just fine.

Any idea or help on this? If I try it and it doesn't work, can always start over since I am not using the new computer yet. I just cannot figure out how to do this with USB C!

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

As long as the 2014 is on Sierra, you can clone with an external drive like you described.

What I would do though is just make a Time Machine or CCC backup to the external then during system setup on the new machine tell it you want to import your data and follow the steps to use Migration Assistant. Make sure you do this during setup and not after you have made an account.

This will be less data to move than a full clone and a little faster in theory.

3. leman macrumors G3

Don't use a direct clone, use Migration Assistant via an external disk or copy the data directly (e.g. via a WiFi connection).

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Why not? Other than MA perhaps being a little quicker due to the OS not being moved over, as long as both Macs are on the newest Sierra version a clone would work just fine.

I'm just curious if I am overlooking something?

5. leman macrumors G3

I don't know whether this is true or not, but I've heard reports of people having random issues when moving a clone to one computer to another. This was explained as firmware mismatches between the computers. I also don't know whether OS X does some sort of hardware-specific configuration that could potentially cause issues when cloning (e.g. encryption using unique hardware profile etc.). At any rate, as long as Apple is not explicitly stating moving clones between physical computers is supported, I prefer moving only the data and settings.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Nah.... it will work fine. All the drivers are included in any macOS install, with the exception of printer drivers that get downloaded over the Internet. Firmware updates would have been done as part of the respective macOS point updates, so would not matter.

7. Sean Dempsey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

Dumb questions - how do I connect a USB 3 external drive to a USB C port? Just a USB 3 to C dongle? Does it still go as fast?

8. leman macrumors G3

You can use a dongle or a usb cable (the later probably being a better long-term solution). Yes, the speed is the same.

9. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

OP:
    Don't over-think things.
    Just do it.

I'm going to assume you have the new MBP up-and-running, and have already created an account.

Just do this:
    1. Get an external drive
    2. Download CCC. CCC is FREE to download, and it's FREE to use for the first 30 days
    3. Install CCC on the 2014 MBP
    4. Launch CCC
    5. On the left, select your source drive (2014)
    6. To its right, select the target drive (the external drive)
    7. Let CCC do its thing.
    8. When done, power down and disconnect the external drive.

The following steps will "bring over" the OLD ACCOUNT, with everything in it (and also any 3rd-party apps from your 2014 MBP):
    9. Connect the external drive to the NEW MBP
    10a. Let the drive icon appear on the desktop. DO NOT OPEN IT.
    10b. Click ONE TIME on the drive icon, then type command-i (eye) to bring up the get info box
    10c. Toward the bottom of the info box is "sharing and permissions". If you don't see it, click the disclosure arrow to reveal it.
    10d. Click the lock icon and enter your password (the one you're using on the NEW MBP).
    10e. Put a check into "ignore ownership on this volume" (this eliminates any permissions problems between old Mac and new one)
    10f. Close get info box.

11. Open Migration Assistant
    12. Choose to import data from another drive, then "aim it" towards the external drive
    13. You can choose to bring over accounts, apps, data and settings
    14. Let Migration Assistant do its thing.
    15. When done, your OLD account will be there, as will apps, data, etc.

Important consideration:
    Again, if you've already booted the new MBP and created a NEW account BEFORE you do this migration, you're going to have TWO accounts, where you may want only one.
    There are "ways around this", but they involve additional steps.

10. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

If you are looking to wipe the 2016's SSD and insert a full carbon clone of the 2014 drive (provided the 2014 has a supported OS), you might be able to do this by first cloning the 2014 to an external, then plug the external into the 2016 MBP, boot OS X from the external, and then wipe the 2016's SSD & copy the contents from the external drive onto the 2016's SSD?

Have you emailed the people who make CCC and asked them what they recommend for this specific task and how well such a method would work between the different generations?

I've attempted to use USB bridges with two Macs and have not personally had success, so I do not know if a direct connection is possible since both FW and ethernet are not available. You might be able to do this with Thunderbolt? (but the cost of a TB2 cable and a TB3-->TB2 adapter might cost as much as an external if you don't have an empty spare currently.)

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yep... that will work fine. I've done it myself.

USB direct won't work like that, but TB will with the adaptor like you mentioned. I already had the adaptor to use with my old TB Display, so used that with a TB cable when I migrated from my 2014 rMBP to my new Touchbar MBP and it flies though the transfer. But like you said, kinda spendy if your don't already have the cable and adaptors.

12. Sean Dempsey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

This is very good. I have done this with CCC and Super Duper

a few caveats:

1) these are corporate controlled machines and accounts - not sure what'll happen
    2) I have tons of developer style hacks I did through the Terminal, will those come over? not critical.
    3) why not do a straight CCC without using the Migration assistant?

13. jerryk macrumors 68040

I tried using CC and Migration assistant a few times and don't use either now days. I find I end up moving a lot of stuff I really no longer care about. So just go with the clean new system, migrate the data, and reinstall the apps.

My 2 cents.