Need to connect SCSI scanner to iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ChrisA, Apr 30, 2016.

1. ChrisA macrumors G4

I have a SCSI film scanner I want to connect to an iMac. The iMac has only FW800 and USB2. Has anyone experience with some kind of adaptor? Yes I know I can Google but I'm asking if anyone has experience with this and how well it works.

Film scanners are not cheap and they are getting harder for buy so I don't want to replace this Nikon scanner.

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

There once were SCSI-to-firewire adapters for sale, which "kind of" worked, but no one sells them (new) anymore.

Finding a used one could be problematic -- and very expensive. And once you have it, there's no promise it will actually work.

Some options:
    - Buy or rent a film scanner that has firewire or usb. If not a new one, find a used one on ebay or elsewhere.
    - Have the film scanned for you by a service that does such things.
    - Buy and set up an OLDER MAC that still has SCSI capabilities. It will probably involve a little work to get it up-and-running, but might be the cheapest way.

A little while back, there was an extensive discussion over at macintouch.com about scanning old slides and film. You might investigate there.

3. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Is this something like you are looks for? I ask because as you can see the reviewer is using a Mac!

4. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I've used a USB to SCSI adapter in the past but I don't think they're made any more. eBay is probably your best option