Need to convert a PDF to a JPEG.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by justaregularjoe, Aug 28, 2010.

1. justaregularjoe macrumors 6502

I Mroogled. All old results. Google only comes up with programs that either suck or apparently do not work on Snow Leopard.

The problem is that it is a multipage pdf. I opened it with Preview, and saved as a jpg. Only saved the first page. Control-A'd to select all of the pages in the sidebar, same thing.

I need one single (very very tall) jpg from this pdf.

Any ideas?

2. snberk103 macrumors 603

Have you tried something like Photoshop?

The other way is to separate each PDF page into it's own document, and then save each one as a JPG. Then open new blank JPG document and copy/paste each page into this new document. Then crop out the excess blank space and you will have what Preview should (but doesn't) do.

It's ugly, but it should work.

Good Luck.

3. justaregularjoe thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright. I have every page saved as a .jpg, but I am not sure how to stitch them all together now.

When you say open a new blank jpg... how...?

As in, I don't have photoshop.

4. MacVibe macrumors regular

What you want to do really isn't standard fare. The Imagemagick program wiil do what you want from a command line. If you have x number of jpegs, create a montage of x rows by 1 column of all the jpegs. You can also crop, resize, etc. all the individual jpegs using the convert command.

5. snberk103 macrumors 603

I just checked with Preview, and I'm afraid I steered you down the wrong road... cr*p.... Preview doesn't appear to let you create a blank document.

Do you have Pages? If you do, create a new Page Layout document (not word processing). Then go to Page Setup, and create a custom page that is one page wide and x pages long - so a 4 page PDF document might need a page that is 8.5 inches wide and 44 inches long. Paste your JPGs into this document, and arrange them in order. Print to a PDF, using your new paper size. Now you should have a one page PDF that Preview can 'Save As' a JPG.

Or, send the JPGs me and I can paste them all together tomorrow. I'm just going for dinner, but I will send you a message with my email in a moment. Check your profile for the personal message area, if it's new to you. I don't use it often myself.