Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacGiver

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
France
Hi,

I bought a 8GB Nano but my librabry contains a lot of ACC & Apple Lossless songs...How can i convert the complete library to MP3 so i can reduce its size.

Thanks
X

MacGiver

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
France
Thx but why? I beleive no one really sees a difference in term of audio quality between MPEG & Apple Lossless....do you?

mannix87

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2005
in the southeast
whether you're using a Mac or windows, go to Preferences, click on Advanced, go to Importing, set encoder to Mp3 encoder. then go back to your library. choose the songs you want to convert to mp3s by highlighting them. right click and choose "convert selection to mp3". voila. The original file will stay in your library, either as an AAC or lossless but the new mp3 file will be added. so depending on the number of files you want converted, this may eat up your hard drive's memory. Note further that mp3 (with 160kbps) files take up more space than a 128kbps AAC file of equivalent sound quality.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Thx but why? I beleive no one really sees a difference in term of audio quality between MPEG & Apple Lossless....do you?
There's no reason to convert your AAC songs to MP3.

You'll shrink your Apple Lossless files with a high quality using AAC.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
One reason is my DLNA TV doesn't read or recognize AAC, only MP3.
My advice is not to encode from one lossy format to another lossy format. If you need MP3 audio files then encoded them to MP3 in the first place.

I do so just for the sake of compatibility by default.

cgc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2003
Utah
My advice is not to encode from one lossy format to another lossy format. If you need MP3 audio files then encoded them to MP3 in the first place.

Yup...but in my case I have about 10,000 songs in AAC and decided to only transcode for play on the TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.