Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hitty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Hello, I need a link to a full download program that can convert m2ts to .mov or a similar format. I tried to convert with some trials but i coudnt convert the full clip.
I recorded the video with a Sony HD cam (HD-UX3) and I need to edit it with Final Cut Pro.

Any suggestion will help =)

Thanks for your time.

arri

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2008
ClipWrap

ClipWrap is a great program that will wrap your files into a .mov that will drop right into final cut or any quicktime compatible application, without transcoding or rendering. very fast. full version is $49. that is a deal.

mpeg streamclip will transcode your files into .mov files. you will lose some quality, and the files sizes can be quite large. it is a free program, mac or pc.

clipwrap keeps your fie size the same low footprint, and you do not lose quality.

good luck!

s

johntisbury

macrumors newbie
I have a Sony handycam in HD with produces m2ts files, I open up Final Cut Express (but guessing pro has the same option) and use the log and transfer option under the file menu. That pulls in the files and converts them and also allows you to preview them from the camera.

oposky2006

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2009
well, i know a good tool named Pavtube MTS Converter can deal with this problem. It is designed for such camcorder users specially to help them convert mts to mov or other regular format. Although it needs a little pay;),

martinX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Australia
ClipWrap will now handle AVCHD files.

With ClipWrap you have 2 options: you can wrap the AVCHD file in a MOV wrapper which means you can have (relatively) small files that can open in QT, which is useful if you want to just dump everything from your camera onto your Mac and be able to go through the clips later.

You can open these clips directly in FCE or FCP, but things get a little slow. You can also convert them to AIC or ProRes in QT Pro.

Or, you can open the original AVCHD clips and convert to AIC or ProRes (if you have FCP installed) directly for editing.

For a bit more, the apps from Shedworx look good for organising and converting.

illini

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2004
California
does anyone know how to convert in the opposite direction?

i would like to know how to convert from .mov to .mts because the .mov takes up valuable hard disc space (up to 10X in most instances).

Alice1980

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2010
Hello, I need a link to a full download program that can convert m2ts to .mov or a similar format. I tried to convert with some trials but i coudnt convert the full clip.
I recorded the video with a Sony HD cam (HD-UX3) and I need to edit it with Final Cut Pro.

Any suggestion will help =)

Thanks for your time.

Hi there, okay, here offers you Aunsoft MTS Converter (aunsoft.com/mts-converter/), enabling you to convert MTS to MOV for FCP in a much easier way.

harveydean

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2010
same trouble

imac arrived yesterday

Using a HDR-TG7VE sony previously to download from the camera to a pc using the sony capture software.

Tried opening the files on my new mac in FCE files not recognised.

I want a simple solution (technophobe) and don't mind paying.

Don't want to lose any quality.

Which is best solution?

All help gratefully received. Has anyone tried it?

kev6677

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2010
m2ts not equivalent to MOV

it's so amazing to see this nonsense about apple's AIC or MOV files being equal to or superior to m2ts, does these posters actually own a camcorder that outputs to m2ts or do they even own a mac???

the thruth of the matter is m2ts files converted to any other format other than m2ts results in a significant loss of video quality. it may not be that noticeble on a tiny imac screen but try watching it on your 40 inch plasma and you will see what i mean.Can't believe apple cannot get this right espescially when HD is the video standard.

if you want the best video quality AVCHD (m2ts) format from your camcorder stick with windows converters which can edit AVCHD files nativelly.

geerlingguy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2003
St. Louis, USA
I'm using Handbrake to do the converting, and VLC to play the files natively. It works pretty well, just takes forever, on my Intel iMac.

Last edited by a moderator:

Infrared

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2007
it's so amazing to see this nonsense about apple's AIC or MOV files being equal to or superior to m2ts, does these posters actually own a camcorder that outputs to m2ts or do they even own a mac???

AIC files usually are MOV files.

the thruth of the matter is m2ts files converted to any other format other than m2ts results in a significant loss of video quality.

That's not true. There are many lossless formats, for example,
and you'd lose no quality with those. Not necessarily useful for
editing, though.

if you want the best video quality AVCHD (m2ts) format from your camcorder stick with windows converters which can edit AVCHD files nativelly.

Pretty much any converting you can do under Windows can be easily
done under OS X. However, AVCHD isn't a particularly good editing
format and is not generally considered as such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.