Need to copy a Mini-DVD

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by GSMiller, Jun 23, 2008.

1. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I have a Mini-DVD from my camcorder that I'm needing to copy onto a regular DVD for a friend, but there's one problem: both of my computers are Macs and have slot loading drives. I could load the Mini-DVD in the camcorder and connect it via USB, but alas the camcorder is no longer working (Panasonic :rolleyes:). Any suggestions?

2. -DH macrumors 65816

You can use an external DVD drive (tray loading) or, if you can find one, a MiniDVD adapter. But I've heard it rumored that you'll void your Mac warranty if you put anything other than a standard sized disc in a slot loading drive.

-DH

3. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

SO, my eMac isn't completely obsolete.

I saw a sign at either CVS or Walgreens that they could copy DVDs.

Or you might check the phone book for a duplication company in town that could make a copy for you.

The suggestion of a stand alone DVD player/burner is a good one though. You might can find one at BestBuy or your local computer store realtively cheap (or even Ebay.)

4. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

hook the mini DVD camcorder to the computer and dump a disk image?

this is why DVD camcorders are a bad idea. :rolleyes:

5. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

From OP: but alas the camcorder is no longer working

6. GSMiller thread starter macrumors 68000

GSMiller

They were a horrible idea! I wanted a Xbox that Christmas but my mom thought a DVD camcorder would be more useful.

$700 and 15 months later, it didn't work.

I'd rather not buy new hardware right now (I'm strapped for cash) and I'm just copying it for someone as a favor. My niece has a Gateway notebook, is there anyway my iMac or MacBook can read from its CD-Rom drive and me rip it on my Mac with MTR? That'd be great.

7. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Worst photo/video idea since those cameras that took pictures and stored them on ... a floppy disk. 1.44MB of pure storage power.

Luckily, those DVD camcorders seem to be dwindling as HDD models start to flood the market. Those will likely one day be killed by SSD camcorders, but probably a good 5 years from now. A 30GB HDD is much cheaper than any flavor of a 30GB flash drive.

8. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

rip it from the gateway into an avi/mov/mpeg/whatever and then use iDVD to burn it to a big disc. Simple.

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Go to an Apple Store if one's close by and commandeer the Mac Pro.

Download Handbrake and rip that sucker at 100+fps into the highest quality you can (no AVI etc is not high quality - do it with H.264 etc). Put that file on an external hard drive and bring it home for conversion and burning.

10. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

Not a bad idea actually. They might help you out with it. Explain the situation.

11. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

God no, don't tell 'em - the last thing you want is a blue-shirt over your shoulder asking you questions. :D

Go in, rip and get out.

12. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

lol perhaps - they'll be so busy with people picking up iPhones all day they probably won't notice you're there

13. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto