Need to copy whole system

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bencallis, Nov 12, 2007.

1. bencallis macrumors member

Hi,

I ordered a macbook on the day of leopard release.

Upon arrival I noticed the trackpad click was faulty but thought the problem may go away. After 3 days I had had enough of it so contacted apple. A replacement was sent and I was told it would be the new updated model.

A few days later it arrived. I was disappointed to find it was infact the old model. Booting up I had Tiger installed so went through the task of reinstalling everything again including all my apps.

I noticed the drive was very noisy and seemed to grind discs if the macbook was not parallel to the ground....

So have rang up again today to get another replacement (taken 4 days of trying.. Dam iPhone launch!).

So sometime this week I will be again with a new machine. I have all my applications installed and everything fine and dandy. I was wondering if there is any software which will back up all my apps and documents, letting me easily copy them onto my new machine?

As I don't fancy installing everything again from scratch for the 3rd time.

Thanks,
    Ben

2. zmunkz macrumors 6502a

zmunkz

nero ghost

If you have a windows computer around, you can load up Nero Ghost, and plug in your mac HD as an external drive. Ghost will back up the drive bit-wise (rather than copying files, etc), so upon restore to a different drive, it will be in exactly the same state as it was - applications, settings, files, everything. It works great.

I have been searching for Mac software that does the same thing since I switched to Mac, but I haven't been successful. Anyone?

3. bencallis thread starter macrumors member

Ahh yes that's a good idea. :)

Although may take while and involves actually using my windows machine :eek: .

Hopefully someone knows of some mac software?

4. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

I have two suggestions. Suggestion one:

First, download Carbon Copy Cloner.http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html

Second, hook up both computers using a firewire cable. Boot your old computer. Then hold down the T key on your new computer and boot it. After it loads, run Carbon Copy Cloner and clone your old computer's hard drive to your new computer's hard drive (the targeted drive in the process).

Suggestion two:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.4/en/mh2333.html

5. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Is this really a fault?

And on topic, I would also reccommend Carbon Copy Cleaner,

alternatively you could put in your leopard disk upgrade and make use of Time machine!

6. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

^ It is a fault, you're not supposed to be able to hear a laptop HD.

I also recommend CCC, but it is quite slow, so you'll definitely need to set aside some time.