Need to decide very soon!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by PKWY, Sep 16, 2012.

1. PKWY macrumors newbie

Please help me make a decision. I need a new computer (the old one is a 3 years old Sony Vayo.
    We have such a big choice to choose from nowadays and that's why it makes me so difficult to decide.
    I start with college very soon (graphic design).My first plans were buying with the keynote back in june.
    I was hoping for a decent desktop, so a new imac was my first choice. Since Apple had not yet released a new one,
    i am in the market for a decent macbook pro because 24th september we begin.

So, first question:

Can i turn a windows version of CS6 master collection on a macbook (by using bootcamp or something else)?
    If this would be possible, are there any drawbacks by doing this or is this just the same thing
    like you would using it on a mac? I am very acquainted to windows 7, i really love it but like everybody knows,
    the designmarket prefers a mac.

2nd question:

Would you prefer a retina macbook pro over a regular macbook pro? I know you have a better resolution and SSD.
    But, it seems to be impossible to upgrade, and i also love using a dvd drive.

3th question:

Is the difference between 2.3 and 2.6 that big when you are using files of 40mb in photoshop?
    The gap between those two macbooks is more than 400euro.

4th question:

Like everybody else here, i know that Apple is turning in other ways, notthing is what it was before.
    Years ago, apple was the standard for designers, but something keep saying me, why not trying this with windows?
    Dell and Asus seem to have beautiful devices for the design market to. But, i am affraid that in college everything
    will be on macs. Also, later when i will work in this sector, everywhere where i should go, they will have mac.

Possibilities:

1)Macbook Pro 2012 2.3, 4gb RAM, 500gb with high resolution antiglare screen,
    upgraded with a Crucial ssd 256gb (or 512) and 8gb ram. 1799euro

2)Macbook Pro 2012 2.6, 8gb RAM, 750gb with high resolution antiglare screen,
    upgraded with a Crucial ssd 256gb (or 512) and 8gb ram. 2299euro

Later i want to upgrade them with 16gb RAM if this would be necessary.

3)Macbook Pro Retina 2012 2.3, 8gb ram, 256ssd. 2299euro
    Glare should be 25% less than the regular macbooks with glossy screen.
    Like i mentioned, this macbook isn't upgradeable at all. I like the resolution and this must be a great macbook, but i am
    a little bit affraid that i will need 16gb RAM later. Also the score of 1/10 for repairing makes me doubt.
    I will miss the dvd drive to, but there is a solution for this problem.

4) WINDOWS??? Asus u500 may be.

Thank you all for your time!

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

1 - Some years ago, I "crossgraded" a windows license of Dreamweaver for an OSX one. I don't remember how much it cost me at the time. Since then, it has stopped working and I don't miss it enough to figure out why.

2 - I like the retina models but I want something I can upgrade myself rather than paying a premium for Apple RAM and SSD.

3 - Pay a visit to geekbench results site to get a better appreciation for the differences between Mac models.

4 - Apple would have to screw up pretty royally to force me back into the arms of those clueless idiots at Microsoft. There is no sign they intend to do such a thing despite all the grumbling and growling in the forums. And unlike Microsoft, Apple actually listens. Notice how they improved Mission Control from Lion to Mountain Lion? MS is tone deaf when it comes to what users want. Pick up the phone and waste 45 minutes pleading with Microsoft to activate a copy of Office 2011 you just paid for if you don't believe me.

Apple doesn't "officially" support 16 GB of RAM even in their latest machines. This probably means OSX isn't taking full advantage of it. Like 32 bit windows only sees 3 GB, I suspect OSX is only using 8 or perhaps 10 GB. I've been looking at the 15.4 in late 2011 MBP which is discounted $500 for antiglare ($1599) and $600 for regular screen ($1399) at Microcenter right now. That makes the standard 15.4 in late 2011 MBP sell for less than this year's 13 in MBP. It's hard to pass up. This is a rare opportunity to get 30% off Mac gear that isn't refurb.

3. PKWY thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply, at this moment i still haven't made any decision.
    I keep my eyes on used late 2011 to.

To be honest, i really love the new retina screen and also the specs, but i really prefer a macbook which has the possibilty to upgrade. So i will stay with a regular macbook pro without retina.

Thursday i go to school, to hear how many discount we can get.

I also found someone who delivers macbooks for cheaper prices.
    So i have to think and wait. :apple:

4. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Careful dealing with third parties. I would much rather have a refurb from Apple than some local store or some guy off the street. I've also bought Apple refurbs from Microcenter but they are an authorized reseller. The nice thing about MC is they have much older Macs available, some as low as $399 for old white plastic Macbooks so if budget is a real problem, it's possible to get into a Mac from an authorized Apple reseller for a very reasonable price. Keep in mind, though that many older models can't run Mountain Lion.

5. PKWY thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info. I really believe that microcenter is a good place to buy, but unfortunately it isn't an option for me because i live in Europe. (sssjt... hope to emigrate to USA) Tomorrow i will know how many reduction i will have when buying at college. grtz