Need to delete iPhoto pictures

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rodeman, Oct 3, 2008.

1. rodeman macrumors newbie

I hope someone can help me with what is probably a very easy question.

I use iPhoto 08 and had all my pictures stored on my NAS storage drive. I would save them to the drive, then import them into iPhoto without any problem.

Then, the power supply on the NAS drive failed. Before I figured out it was the power supply, I thought the hard drive failed with all my pictures on it. So I purchased a 1TB drive and set it to Raid 1 configuration so I would always have a backup of my files. Once I received the new power supply, I copied over all the files to my new Raid 1 hard drive without any issues.

I'm going to use the NAS drive just for fun stuff that if lost, doesn't matter. However, my iPhoto program must still know the photos are on that drive because when I try and delete the photos, I don't have privledges to do so.

I have ALL the photos on the new Raid 1 drive and I'd like to remove all the photos from iPhoto and then import everything from the new Raid 1 drive. But I'm not sure how to do that. And I'm not sure if by doing that, it will allow me to delete the files on the NAS drive, since iPhoto won't know they exist there any more.

Can someone point me in the right direction or let me know if this is not the way to do thigns? I did put some tags and key words with the pictures, but if I loose those, it's ok.

Thanks,
    John

2. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

Right click on the folder that you don't have privileges on. Click 'Get Info'.

At the bottom in 'Ownership & Permissions' click 'Details'.

You'll see a lock icon next to Owner. Unlock it by clicking.

Change Owner name to whatever your working home folder name is, then make sure Read & Write is enabled.

You'll be asked for an admin password, then you'll be able to delete or whatever you want to do with it.