need to determine if iPhone works or not

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jdcnosse, Mar 19, 2012.

1. jdcnosse, Mar 19, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012

jdcnosse macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 3.2.1; en-us; Transformer TF101 Build/HTK75) AppleWebKit/534.13 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Safari/534.13)

I bought a used iPhone 3GS off of craigslist, and the phone itself works, I just need to make sure that it can actually get a signal...it's currently jailbroken and running iOS 5.1, but I may unjailbrake it if need be. I'd also like to unlock it if possible, but before I do that I do want to make sure that it can receive a signal from AT&T first. I don't plan on keeping the phone actually, I'm trading it to a friend but i want to make sure it actually works first of course.

The phone isn't a factory unlocked phone that I know of, and when I tried using an active T-mobile SIM it said "Searching..." then "No Signal." Nothing about it being the wrong SIM card or anything.

I've read reports of people using iPhones as GoPhones, which is kinda what I would like, because I want a cheap way to verify that the iPhone does in fact work before I unlock it (I'm on baseband 05.16.05, so from what I've read I need to upgrade my baseband to unlock it due to the fact that 05.16.05 is locked)

Is this GoPhone plan possible? I don't need data for the phone at all. Just the ability to make one or two very very short (less than 30 seconds) phone calls.

2. rcnino macrumors newbie

You'll need to put an AT&T SIM in it

3. jdcnosse thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Well yes I do understand that, but will a GoPhone SIM work or will it need an actual AT&T contract SIM?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Any prepaid AT&T sim will work.
    Also red pocket, straight talk, H2O and other similar prepaid carriers sims will in the US.

5. jdcnosse thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Okay thank you very much. I realize that I could just unlock it an use a t-mobile SIM card but unlocking iPhones is a lot different from the old days. Last phone I unlocked was an AT&T Pantech Duo back in 2008, and I just bought a T-mobile SIM to make sure it was unlocked (I was selling it on eBay)