Need to determine what Iphone I have got and more!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by utterlysplendid, Dec 13, 2009.

1. utterlysplendid macrumors newbie

Greetings,

I just bought a used Iphone yesterday. Didn't take much notice of what generation it was but it was working fine. I inserted my sim card which was different to the one already inside and all was fine untill and I restored it using Itunes 9.0. Now Its stuck on "insert a valid sim with no pin lock to activate iPhone" I've tried inserting different simcards and a message displays in iTunes saying "not compatible" more or less.

Ive been searching the net for solutions and ive read on jailbreaking and unlocking but because i dont no what generation it is and what firmware it had on it before everything went pearshaped I don't no what to do.

So please help if you can

p.s the back of the iPhone is all black plastic so it's either a 3G or a 3GS

2. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

Apple will tell you using this link: http://www.apple.com/support/oss/

Put in the serial number of the phone (found in iTunes, on the sim tray or on the box it came in)

There is another website which can give you far more information such as build date and where it was made but I cannot think of the website. Someone else will undoubtably know.

It sounds like you need to put in a sim card of the carrier it is locked to. Alternatively, hacktivate it once you find out what model it is.

Good luck