need to disable remote control with itunes

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by vinegret, Jun 15, 2008.

1. vinegret macrumors newbie

i really need to disable the remote control so it would not work with itunes only! i have another program playing music and when i press play (or whatever) on my remote it also 'tells' itunes to start playing (or whatever). i just need to do something to disable the remote control for itunes only (well, and maybe for quicktime as well, cause to be honest, i just want it to work with one app only) can i do that ?

2. soccersquirt82 macrumors 6502

iTunes, Preferences, Advanced tab, General tab, middle section-
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. vinegret thread starter macrumors newbie

have tryed that
    doesn't work...

the problem is unsolved
    need help

4. ShaunC macrumors member

have you tried assigning the remote control to the mac? that worked for me

hold down right and menu

5. vinegret thread starter macrumors newbie

i need to disable it with itunes ONLY
    i need it to work with other programs

if i pair it with another computer, it won't work with mine at all

6. houarim macrumors newbie

How to Disable the Apple Remote with iTunes

Hi,
    When you press the play key on your Apple remote, it opens iTunes and starts playing songs. This is what you can do: before quitting iTunes make sure you're in the Applications section. This way, when you next press play it will open iTunes in the App section, which has the Play button disabled for it. (Or don't close iTunes at all, but leave it in a section where the Play button is disabled. This is just a trick, there should be a way to disable the remote for iTunes. I hope it helps.

7. eyup macrumors regular

eyup

in itunes prefs > Devices > click 'Forget all remotes" button

8. robbyx macrumors 6502a

I'm having the same issue. I want to disable the Apple Remote (or IR port altogether) for iTunes *only*. There's no option in preferences (ie: a much needed Ignore Apple Remote checkbox). The only option, to Forget All Remotes, doesn't work. It merely unpairs iPhone and iPod Touch remotes, but the Apple IR remote continues to work.

I'm beginning to suspect that there's no way to accomplish what the original poster and I need to do? I've filed a suggestion with Apple.

9. matthewgreen8 macrumors newbie

system preferences------security----general ------disable remote control receiver

:)

10. tcarroll2 macrumors newbie

OP, I am feeling your pain and understand you completely. I want to disable iTunes from coming up any time someone hits "Play" on my Apple Remote. I have a Mac-mini set up as my HTC and someone always hits the damn "Play" button when it is not showing Plex and then music starts playing in the background over other audio...

I'm thinking of uninstalling Front Row and iTunes altogether from my HTC.

11. RonPriest macrumors newbie

Matthew got it right! :cool:

12. suggymoto macrumors newbie

This disables the remote completely though. I too want to disable the remote just for iTunes. Any other suggestions?