need to-do app w/2 features

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Darsh, May 18, 2008.

1. Darsh macrumors member

Hi,

I'm trying to convince my father to switch to an iMac. One thing he needs is a good to-do app. It needs to be simple to use, but with the following two features:

1) The ability to categorize tasks, either Nested or in Folders. Tags won't work unless you can display them nested, i.e.,
    Category 1
    Task 1​
    Task 2​
    Category 2
    Task 3​

2) Print overview that will look like the nested, i.e., list each category then the task title.

I've downloaded like a dozen different to-do apps in the past few days and can't find anything that has these two options. Right now he just types up a document in MS Word, but he can't handle the auto-numbering and such so he ends up calling me up for help every other day. Showing him a piece of mac software that makes this easy would do wonders. Free/cheap is best, but if its good software but pricey, I could try that.

Thanks.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I personally like OmniFocus, but it may be too feature rich for what you want...

3. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

How about instead of a lot of posters guessing apps that you've already tried, you could list the ones you HAVE tried that maybe failed your requirements?

I use Omnifocus for now until something better comes along.

However, TaskPaper was one I own but haven't used it.

Since you've tried a few I'm sure you googled "GTD Mac Software" or something similar using GTD (Getting Things Done) and gone through a LOT of software. There's quite a few I personally like.

Also is there a trade off to functionality. If your father is willing to 'think different' he might actually have to put that to the test.

One thing to look at is Omni Outliner Pro and the kGTD scripts. There's a good video (one you might want to even show your Dad)

http://kinkless.com/files/videos/kgtd_intro.mov

It's got me wanting to try it since I do own several Omni group software packages.

As far as OmniFocus (a really good simple tool to use) here are some screenshots that might show you (if you haven't already tried it)

Attached Files:

4. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Maybe he could try Remember the Milk.

I know you can add tabs to the top, maybe that will work?

I don't know about the print thing though. I have never used it that far.

5. Darsh thread starter macrumors member

I dont know all of them, but I know for certain none had the print capability.

These are the only ones I've tried that I can remember:
    Check Off
    Do It
    iGTD
    Task List
    Thinking Rock

6. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Pricewise I think Omnifocus is probably a very good deal. As you can see from my previous post, it does pretty much what you were asking. Maybe not exactly but you can see from the screenshots it does break things down, add tasks to a project, inside the task you can add notes, even clip art or pictures (see above post again) and the preview print shows everything broken down.

If anything download the demo and try it out.

7. Ol!ver macrumors 6502a

Sorry to drag this back up, but how did you create the PDF?

8. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

Things does a lot of what OmniFocus does and it's a very attractively designed app. It's currently beta, but its fairly solid. Not sure you'll get exactly what you want, but you will be able to list tasks inside of categories.

OmniOutliner will do exactly what you want, and it's very versatile solving lots of jobs. Mine came free with my Mac.

mt