Need to Erase and Install - backup and restore advice?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by marekkurlmann, Dec 2, 2007.

1. marekkurlmann macrumors regular

I am experiencing a few small bugs with my two-week-old Leopard installation and want to do a complete Erase and Install to iron out a few kinks. I'm not sure how I will restore my existing files, applications, and settings.

Right now, the only backup I have is a Time Machine backup on an external hard drive. Will this suffice? If so, more questions...

1. Do I restore applications directly from Time Machine (i.e., find the application in Finder and click "restore"), or do I have to put the install discs in or download the programs from the Internet?

2. How will this affect applications that require authorization on a specific machine (e.g. Adobe CS3)? Will I have to re-enter serial codes for programs that don't require machine-specific authorization?

3. Is there an easy way to restore Mail settings, mailboxes, and messages?

4. One of the key reasons I'm doing this is to rid my system of several bugs, but I'd also like to preserve as many of my settings as possible. Is it possible to restore settings (e.g. keychain, saved passwords in Firefox, etc.) by restoring libraries? Would restoring libraries also possibly bring back bugs I'm currently experiencing with some programs? What are the advantages and disadvantages of restoring libraries?

Thanks a lot for the help!

Marek

2. f1 macrumors 6502

Do an erase and install. Once Leopard launches again after the install Migration Assistant will launch, plug in your External HDD and it will give you the option of transferring files and settings from a Time Machine backup.

3. marekkurlmann thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the help. Even after the fresh install, do you think that importing settings, applications, etc. from the Time Machine backup will also import bugs existing in the old installation?

4. f1 macrumors 6502

probably not migration assistant does not migrate system files unless they are related to your system preferances