Need to export Macbook iMovie to different computer

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by msbehav, Oct 7, 2009.

1. msbehav macrumors newbie

I would appreciate any help - my daughter completed a homework project on iMovie on her Macbook, using a digital camera's video. Her laptop doesn't have a DVD burner, so I tried putting the file onto a flash drive and transferring to our iMac. Not sure if it's important, but the Macbook OS is Leopard, and the iMac is Tiger. Anyway, I've been unsuccessful and her homework is due on Friday (2 days) :(

Before uploading it to the flash drive, I think I exported to the media browser. Not quite sure, because I'm not at home now. Any help would be appreciated!

2. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

Okay what you need to do is not make a dvd but a virtual DVD. Some extensions off virtual dvd's/ cd's are .iso or .dmg. Just make your dvd in iDVD on your macbook (I suppose that is a macbook air, I believe that's the only one without drive, you can get an external drive; http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB397G/A)). So then you have made your dvd and you want to burn it. But obviously you can't cause you don't have one.

Go to the File menu and choose "save as Disc Image". Now it will save the project as a disk image. You can transfer this file to your imac. Then open it there by doubleclicking. See if it works. Then go to disk utilities. There you can burn the iso to a real DVD. Check google for more extended explanations.

You could also export the movie from iMovie as a movie file. Transfer that file and bring it into iDVD on your imac. Then burn it.

3. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

4. LETinc macrumors newbie

This helped me

Thanks for sharing your expertise. I am reading this fourm trying to learn all I can and regardless of whether it helped the poster of the question, it certainly helped me. Thanks.