Need to get data off an old PPC mac

happyslayer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Glendale, AZ
Hey all,
I have a customer with a 22 year-old Power PC 7300/200 desktop Mac that has data on it he needs to transfer. The Mac has a 12X CDROM (not a writer) and no USB ports. The floppy drive is also not working. The hard drive is a SCSI 50 pin cable type (I think) It does boot into OS 8.6 and seems to work okay. Also there is an Ethernet port, though not sure if that works.

Do any of you with more experience than I have (which isn’t a lot) with this old of a Mac know how I can copy data from it? Are there any old adapters or something that you can think of to connect to some type of external storage. My google searches have been less than helpful.

Also, can an OS 8.6 Mac “talk” to a new Mac with Mojave or High Sierra over Ethernet. If so, maybe I can copy from the old Mac to my laptop over the network and then to USB.

Thanks in advance for any possible options/opinions.

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
Hey all,
I have a customer with a 22 year-old Power PC 7300/200 desktop Mac that has data on it he needs to transfer. The Mac has a 12X CDROM (not a writer) and no USB ports. The floppy drive is also not working. The hard drive is a SCSI 50 pin cable type (I think) It does boot into OS 8.6 and seems to work okay. Also there is an Ethernet port, though not sure if that works.

Do any of you with more experience than I have (which isn’t a lot) with this old of a Mac know how I can copy data from it? Are there any old adapters or something that you can think of to connect to some type of external storage. My google searches have been less than helpful.

Also, can an OS 8.6 Mac “talk” to a new Mac with Mojave or High Sierra over Ethernet. If so, maybe I can copy from the old Mac to my laptop over the network and then to USB.

Thanks in advance for any possible options/opinions.
I'd try the Ethernet route first.

In the Apple Menu of the 7300 go to Control Panels>TCP/IP.

Set 'Connect via:' to Ethernet and 'Configure' to Manually. You want to setup a P2P two Mac network so pull your other Mac offline for this.

Where the IP addresses are, just assign the 7300 an IP of 192.168.0.1 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 You can leave the other fields empty.

On your other Mac go into Network inside System Preferences and select your Ethernet connection. Set it up to be manual and assign it an IP address of 192.168.0.2 with the same subnet mask. Be sure to apply the changes.

On the 7300 go back into Apple Menu>Control Panels>File Sharing

Setup File Sharing, Users and Groups if you like, but be sure to turn it on.

Connect the 7300 to the OS X Mac with an Ethernet cable.

In Finder on the OS X Mac, go to 'Connect to Server'. Enter: afp://192.168.0.1 and press return.

Give the credentials and mount the drive. Find the data you need and copy over like normal. I would suggest that you copy in small chunks so nothing locks up.

If the 7200 does not have a TCP/IP Control Panel, see if it has an Appletalk Control Panel. If it has both then make sure the Appletalk panel is also set to Ethernet.

Last edited:

happyslayer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
Glendale, AZ
Wow! Thanks you so much for info. Especially the screen shots. Very helpful. When I get the chance, hopefully tomorrow, to get back to the customer's office, I will try this. Again, thanks for the detailed response!

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
Wow! Thanks you so much for info. Especially the screen shots. Very helpful. When I get the chance, hopefully tomorrow, to get back to the customer's office, I will try this. Again, thanks for the detailed response!
Well, the screenshots were from Google Images, so no biggie there. ;)

But I did want to illustrate where things are in OS9 and below. If you don't know where stuff is it gets confusing. It takes three places in an OS9 Mac to set up file sharing, where OS X has it down to two.

Reactions: AphoticD

AphoticD

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2017
Australia
I still have my 7300/200! Still works!
Nice. Do you boot it much?

I’ve been eyeing off a 7300/200 currently on eBay (AU) in great condition. They were such a perfect example of the 90’s desktop Mac. The closest I ever got to the top of the crop was owning a 7600/200 back in about 2002, but that’s long since passed.

I’d love to eventually get a couple of Beige desktop Macs together for a nostalgic trip down memory lane, but they have been rare to spot in the wild, let alone for sale (locally).

Reactions: Traace

Eriamjh1138@DAN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
BFE, MI
I haven’t booted it in 3 yrs. I also have a 9600/300 tower I got from a friend so from an architecture standpoint, one is redundant.

I keep it for the floppy. When I get a 680x0 mac without internet access, modern Mac Ethernet to 7300 floppy to 680x0 is the path.

Neither sees much use. Museum pieces, really.

Reactions: AphoticD