Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PNGento

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011
I have an early 2011 MBP and swapped out my factory HD for a SSD drive. I now would like to sell the MBP and upgrade to new MBP. What I'd like to do, is replace the factory HD back inside the case and remove and keep the SSD to then put into the new MBP so the new one will operate like the old one (in other words, pick up where the old MBP left off (seamless as possible transition from old to new).

I have the ability to hook the original drive up as an external drive. Is it possible for me to get the original drive back to factory condition while it is operating as an external drive...so that when I replace it in its original location inside the old MBP, it will boot up as it did when I first bought the MBP? In other words, put back to factory new condition.

Is this possible to both get the original drive returned to factory new condition and pull the SSD currently functioning as the old MBP's sole internal hard drive so that when it is placed into the new MBP, the new MBP will be just like it was in the old MBP (albeit having new and faster hardware to utilize).

TIA

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I think not. You are going to have to replace the drive in the Mac first, boot into DU, erase and then reinstall whatever flavour of OSX came with it.

Why not, tell me.

You CAN install a new OS on an external and then drop it inside the MBP and it will startup as a new one.

----------

I have an early 2011 MBP and swapped out my factory HD for a SSD drive. I now would like to sell the MBP and upgrade to new MBP. What I'd like to do, is replace the factory HD back inside the case and remove and keep the SSD to then put into the new MBP so the new one will operate like the old one (in other words, pick up where the old MBP left off (seamless as possible transition from old to new).

I have the ability to hook the original drive up as an external drive. Is it possible for me to get the original drive back to factory condition while it is operating as an external drive...so that when I replace it in its original location inside the old MBP, it will boot up as it did when I first bought the MBP? In other words, put back to factory new condition.

Is this possible to both get the original drive returned to factory new condition and pull the SSD currently functioning as the old MBP's sole internal hard drive so that when it is placed into the new MBP, the new MBP will be just like it was in the old MBP (albeit having new and faster hardware to utilize).

TIA

Which OS X version is on the 2011, if it's Snow Leopard the new one won't boot from it!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.