Need to get video of my dog....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tarjan, Mar 30, 2011.

1. tarjan macrumors regular

Anyone know of any free apps that can record video from a MBP isight, when it sees motion? I found a few paid apps, but honestly I just want to see what the heck my dog is doing when I go out. I'm pretty sure he is counter-surfing for goodies ;)

Found a couple paid apps, but they have many features I just don't need.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

So ask him! :D You'd need more than software. You'll need a motion sensor.

3. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

I'm still thinking of getting my cat one of these

Chances are it will be mostly shots of food bowl, cat basket and digging up the garden…

http://www.katz23.de/

4. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

This one claims to have a motion sensor function. I found it here, where it sounds like one person likes it.

The same company makes this one, which also lists motion detection as a feature.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

How can software detect motion, without some hardware that gives that capability?

6. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

Without even looking at the link, my guess is that the camera is always on, but the software analyzes the camera feed for motion and only records it to file when it detects a difference in the picture (motion).

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

So it's constantly looking at the image to see if there's any changes? It would seem to me that even lighting changes as the day goes by would trigger recording, if that were the case. I just don't see how any software can detect motion without some hardware component that gives that capability. I can wave my hand in front of the screen all day long, and I can't see how that could trigger the cam.

8. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

If it indeed detects "motion," then there might be some sort of threshold that tries to overcome some change in lighting. I'd also guess it would probably record it if it went from a brightly lit room from being sunny outside to rainclouds coming through, since that would be a significant change in light.

As for that, like I'm guessing, the camera would always be on, constantly taking in information in some temp file(s), but what's recorded to the final file are just the shots where changes in the image are detected. Anything being possible, that would be my initial thought on how to build "motion detection" in an app for a camera without hardware motion detection.

9. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

quicktime can record for you, its really easy.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That doesn't address the motion sensing requirement.