Need To Install 10.4 Tiger

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by snipecaik, Apr 19, 2017.

1. snipecaik macrumors newbie

Today I finally received my g4 mac mini, however what the seller didn't mention was that there is no operating system. Any advice, is obtaining a disc the only way I am able to install any os?

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

3. snipecaik thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought you couldn't burn os x disk images to a disc?

4. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

No, you can burn an install disk for OS X just like pretty much any other OS and it will work fine (provided you did it correctly). I've installed both Tiger and Leopard from disks I burned myself.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Why would you think that?

6. snipecaik thread starter macrumors newbie

Well.. I'm choosing tiger because it runs much better than leopard.
    With regards to the burning process, what software should I use, I'll assume I will need two discs, are there any guides on this?

7. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Tiger will fit on a single DVD. For burning it depends what OS you're running, on MacOS it's as simple as right-clicking the disk image in Finder and clicking Burn, for Windows you'll need to download a third-party app.

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I disagree entirely. But it's not my Mac so that is up to you. Leopard runs solidly on all my Macs.

Just don't ever use Tiger in a Windows server environment with mixed PCs and Macs. Also, Tiger is a complete fail when it comes to operating as a print server.

Disk Utility is usually what I use. But you can also use Toast Titanium.

9. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

I have to come to Tiger's defense here; while Leopard can perform decently on G4 Macs with the proper optimizations, Tiger does hold an edge. Furthermore, it can fit on a single-layer DVD which is not true for Leopard (at least without modifying the image).

It does depend entirely on your usage. If someone is going to be using PowerPC as a main Mac in 2017, I'd probably recommend Leopard as well. But for most use cases, Tiger is fine. Only wish TenFourKit were still being maintained.
    Disk Utility no longer works for this in 10.11+. Burning through Finder does still work, however.

10. snipecaik thread starter macrumors newbie

The link I was provided has a tiger download that is almost 7GBs, how will this fit on a single layer disc?

11. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

It looks like the Tiger download is 2.72 GB while Leopard is 6.88 GB. Make sure you're downloading the right one.

12. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Eh... Look again, the Tiger download image is 2.54GB.
    Just slightly less than 7GB, but it's all relative, I suppose.

13. eyoungren, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Fair points. And I will admit to having it installed on certain Macs I own or use, but only for very specific reasons

It does, as you say, depend on your usage. Having used it for 2-3 years in a server environment as the OS of the primary Mac for design and layout at work though I would NEVER choose it over Leopard.

The one Mac I do have it running on at work has no need to be updated and no need to run more modern apps. As an Applescript server I have Tiger installed because the Mac has limited ram. However, I still have to compensate for SMB/CIFS and server connections by having DAVE installed. It's the only way anything can be done without Tiger wailing about server disconnects and beachballing Finder.

Sorry, I whine as well but just my experience.

Ah, thanks. The MP at work (that I am typing this on) is running 10.10. Afraid if I go any higher I will lose the ability to use Adobe CS4.

14. snipecaik thread starter macrumors newbie

so am I able to burn the .dmg file to a disc using disk utility?

15. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yes.

Open Disk Utility. Images>Burn, select disc image.

Do NOT open the image before you do this. Just burn it as is. DU will take care of the rest.

Disk Utility.png Disk Utility 2.png

16. snipecaik thread starter macrumors newbie

What about obtaining a leopard server disk image?

17. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

You have a license for it?

18. snipecaik thread starter macrumors newbie

nope.

19. dustinschings macrumors 6502

dustinschings

You have to remember that the G4 Minis are limited to only 1GB RAM. This can be a pain point. Most other Macs, even older ones that can still run Leopard, allow for more than 1GB usually.

20. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

That is true.

However, my son has run a 1.0Ghz Titanium DVI and now a 15" Albook with a failed lower ram slot with 1GB. He does fine on Leopard. I did fine on Leopard using a 400mhz TiBook for a long time (until my daughter killed it).

It's possible and doable if what you are using that limited ram Mac for is everyday use.

Would I use Leopard over Tiger with less than 1GB of ram on one of these laptops if they were not my daily use Mac? No.