Need to install hard drives in the new 2009 MacPro...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by AppleWorking, Mar 7, 2009.

1. AppleWorking macrumors regular

Hello,

I wanted to know what type of hard drives will work in the new 2009 MacPro quad base model. I'm looking for really reliable drives that will install without a hitch and be recognized without problems. The main thing is that they need to be reliable as hell, seeing that I'm going to be using them for backups of my work. I will be needing two drives from anywhere between 250-500 GB.

Thanks for your help and suggestions!

You guys are the best.

2. grue macrumors 65816

2009 Mac Pro uses the new SATA-X connector that Apple designed, it draws power from the DisplayPort-enabled graphics card. You can either buy normal drives and get the plug adapters when those come out (might require cutting to fit on the sleds), or you can buy the drives direct through Apple.

3. Fomaphone macrumors regular

i've been satisfied with the WD caviar black... it's affordable priced and is reputable.

amusing.

4. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

At least you could put some sort of emoticon to let the OP know your were being sarcastic.

S-

5. AppleWorking thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, is this for real?!

6. grue macrumors 65816

Thank Xenu, no it's not. I'm just a wiseass.

In reality, grab any standard 3.5" SATA drive and enjoy.

WDC and Seagate are popular, but the Samsung Spinpoint F1 I've been using as a testbed for a project has been very very fast and reliable thus far (though anecdotal evidence means precisely F.A. ).

Avoid Maxtor like the plague it is.

7. grue macrumors 65816

That wouldn't be very sporting, now would it?

8. AppleWorking thread starter macrumors regular

No, it wouldn't. LOL You're funny...

I think

9. nicolapo macrumors newbie

Dude I got like really scared for a second here....

10. Morriss macrumors member

Are Seagate HD's okay to use now? I had heard that there was a firmware problem with some recent drives.

11. grue macrumors 65816

Fine now AFAIK. Firmware updates are available for the ones that were affected but hadn't presented with symptoms.

12. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The Seagate 1.5TB drives have been plagued with issues.

13. gelid macrumors member

Only certain firmware revisions. There are two main lines of firmware for these drives the SDxx firmware and CCxx firmware. The CCxx series seems to have less issues than the SDxx series. Firmware version CC1H and up should have no current issues. In my '08 Mac Pro, I have been using two CC1H drives formatted a one large partition with journaling turned on and have had no problems.

14. PowerPaw macrumors member

Nobody is going to tell you what definitely works until they have installed them but I would assume pretty much any drive should work without a hitch unless they are SSDs!

If you look at Western Digital's website for example you will see that they actually have a Mac logo next to some of their drives. If you are looking for a reliable drive however you should take a look at the enterprise line as these will have had some burn-in time I believe. Hitachi and Seagate should also have similar offerings. Bear in mind the enterprise drives can be up to another half as much money again and some may argue these may not be that much better in a desktop but you should make that decision for your self :D

http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products/index.asp?cat=2&language=en

Spec sheets with Mac logos :apple:

http://www.westerndigital.com/en/library/spec/2879-701284.pdf
    http://www.westerndigital.com/en/library/spec/2879-701281.pdf

Which of the following are you after exactly, reliable, big, fast, cheap...?

15. ender78 macrumors 6502

Why not invest in an external enclosure. You best best is likely RAID1 in the MacPro and then a backup drive.