Need to install Leopard on MacBook but my disc drive is not working

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macanna, Oct 25, 2008.

1. macanna macrumors newbie

I just got a MacBook (the black one). It is running Tiger, but I need to install Leopard. I have an iMac with Tiger and another MacBook with Leopard. I have a Leopard DVD.

Is there a way I can use the disc drive on my other macbook to install Leopard on my new (old) black MacBook?

Someone please help.

THANKS!!:confused:

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

You could use Target Disk mode to install Leopard. You need a Firewire cable, though I think an ethernet cable might work too. You will need to hook up the cable to each computer and then startup the MB that you want to install Leopard onto and hold down 'T'. It's drive will show up on the other MB. Now put in the DVD and install away.

3. logana macrumors 65816

logana

The other way round - start up the one with the dvd in in Target mode and then install from the Mac that is in Target mode to the Mac that you are doing the install on.......

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Will it not work the way I mentioned? I always get the target disk mode thing mixed up :confused:

5. logana macrumors 65816

logana

the Mac that is started up in Target Mode becomes in effect an external Firewire disc and external firewire dvd drive for use with the other Mac.

6. macanna thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks guys!

I will give it a try. Does anyone know if I can use an ethernet cable to do this?