Need To Install OS X, DVD Drive Dead

Discussion in 'iMac' started by smijy, Sep 20, 2011.

1. smijy macrumors newbie

smijy

Currently I have an Intel Imac with a blank hard drive, and the Combo drive is faulty.

I have the DMG file, as well as the install dvd however I can't get it to boot.

I have a USB External drive that spins up but doesnt actually boot.

Any ideas on what I could do to resolve this issue? Short of bringing it in for costly repair.

Thanks.

2. DockMac macrumors regular

I have never tried this myself, but perhaps this will give you some ideas.

1) Download the image to a USB Drive, and install from there.
    2) Install over a network

3. smijy thread starter macrumors newbie

smijy

Thank you for the quick reply,

I have thought about the USB option, I am just not sure how I "mount" the dmg file to teh USB key. I know within mac partition utility I could do a restore of the dmg file to a USB key, and change its partition table to make it bootable, but since I Don't have access to the OS not sure how I go about that.

4. namethisfile macrumors 6502a

namethisfile

if you have or know anyone with another mac with firewire and working optical drive, then you can use firewire target disk mode using the other mac's optical drive to install the os into the iMac with the broken optical drive.

or,

get an external optical drive (usb will work for intel macs) and use the keyboard combination to boot the iMac to the external optical with os x cd in it. external opticals are inexpensive these days.

5. smijy thread starter macrumors newbie

smijy

Thanks for the reply, I currently have an external but it didn't seem to work I'll run and grab another.

Is it a different key sequence to boot external than internal?

6. namethisfile macrumors 6502a

namethisfile

restart iMac with ext usb optical connected and os x dvd inside and immediately press and hold Option key. the startup manager should appear where you can select the ext usb optical and then proceed to install os x.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1310

7. smijy thread starter macrumors newbie

smijy

Just ran down the street to futureshop and got a samsung slim load dual layer dvd+r for 50 bucks, says mac compaitble, booted right up