Need to install Windows 7 twice?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by centarian07, Oct 5, 2010.

1. centarian07 macrumors newbie

I recently got a macbook pro, and just got windows 7 for free from my university (want to be able to play windows games). The IT guy there said I would need to install it once, then install again using the registration code. I installed it once (without using the code), and Windows seems to be running fine. Now I know bootcamp tells you to use the windows driver disc that comes with the macbook, I just wasn't sure what to do first (or if at all). Do I need to go through bootcamp again to "upgrade" windows using the same disc as the first install? Or do I simply need to use the disc that came with my laptop? Or both/neither? Thanks for any clarification.

2. appleuser1984 macrumors newbie

you will need to install over it and use the code. otherwise windows will stop working in 30 days. then u need to insert your mac disc to install the proper drivers

3. centarian07 thread starter macrumors newbie

So do I just go through the exact process (through bootcamp) that I did to install is the first time? Minus the partitioning, I assume.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Just reboot holding Alt/Option with the W7 DVD in the drive. Boot from the DVD, hit the "ANY" key, and you should be off to the races.

If you're not registry averse, you could also try the registry tweak mentioned here: http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp (Method #2).

B

5. centarian07 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I did that, and it asked whether I wanted to upgrade or start from the beginning. Do I upgrade? Because it told me to do that I'd have to go into windows normally and then use the disc (which isn't hard, but I don't know why I would have done the other stuff just to get to that point). Thanks for all your help so far.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Yeah, I forgot you do need to do that within Windows. Follow the guide I linked and you should be fine.

B

7. centarian07 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, so I went into windows and used the install disc. Everything was going smoothly (restarted several times), but after the 3rd restart or so, after a while the progress bar wouldn't move, and my mouse would freeze. It was on the very last step of the installation too. I waited about 45 minutes just in case it was taking it's time, but nothing ever happened. Is there something I'm missing/doing wrong? I don't need to use the Mac disc yet, correct? Thanks a lot for all the help so far also.

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Correct, you should not need the Mac OS X disc yet.

Do you have any cables connected to the Mac during the install?

It's generally best not to connect any USB/FireWire/Eternet devices to the Mac during Windows install. So in case you have a mouse or anything plugged in you should unplug before you do the install.

B

9. centarian07 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, I unplugged the mouse, but it still never got past the last stage (and I even let it sit there for a couple of hours). I uninstalled the antivirus (school network requires it...) b/c windows was saying it may not run properly and could affect the installation. Once i rebooted after that, I tried upgrading again, and like I said, no difference. I'm starting to think this wasn't meant to be...

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

It sounds like the install is going ok until the upgrade. Did you try method #2 from the guide? the registry hack?

You should definitely not install anything or let it do any upgrades before you try the second install.

B

11. centarian07 thread starter macrumors newbie

So might it help to go through bootcamp again, format the windows partition, clean install again, then upgrade without messing with anything?

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Yes. The upgrade to provide the key should be done immediately over a clean install. Try the registry hack first to avoid the second install altogether.

Read the WinSuperSite guide.

B

13. centarian07 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well that seems to have done the trick, thanks a lot for helping me out.

14. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Glad to hear it. Enjoy!

B