Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Siron

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
North Carolina
Every month or so Flash Player does not work and I have to download and reinstall it. This morning I went to the USA Today site to print the daily crossword (as I do every morning) and it would not load. I downloaded and reinstalled Flash Player and it was fine.
I'm running Lion by the way. Why does this happen every now and then?
Thanks

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Every month or so Flash Player does not work and I have to download and reinstall it. This morning I went to the USA Today site to print the daily crossword (as I do every morning) and it would not load. I downloaded and reinstalled Flash Player and it was fine.
I'm running Lion by the way. Why does this happen every now and then?
Thanks
Are you downloading from a link on the site you're visiting? Or are you going to Adobe's site and downloading from there? You should never install Flash or any other software simply because you're prompted to do so by a website you're visiting, as some of these are bogus and could negatively affect your Mac.

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
I just don't like flash. If I can do without it I will. I have clicktoflash plugin in my Safari and if it says "Flash" I am not clicking it. It is a resource hog and a security hole.

Steve jobs is correct.

Siron

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
North Carolina
Are you downloading from a link on the site you're visiting? Or are you going to Adobe's site and downloading from there? You should never install Flash or any other software simply because you're prompted to do so by a website you're visiting, as some of these are bogus and could negatively affect your Mac.

I download the player from Adobe website. I need to know why it sometimes needs reinstalling.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I download the player from Adobe website. I need to know why it sometimes needs reinstalling.
I've seen some sites erroneously indicate that I don't have the most current Flash version when I do. It's obviously more a problem with their site than with your Mac. I've found on some occasions that switching to a different User Agent resolves the problem, but only with some sites.

Siron

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
North Carolina
I've seen some sites erroneously indicate that I don't have the most current Flash version when I do. It's obviously more a problem with their site than with your Mac. I've found on some occasions that switching to a different User Agent resolves the problem, but only with some sites.

Let me reiterate as I don't think you understand what I'm asking. I don't get a message from a site saying I need to download Flash. I go to USA Today crossword puzzle which uses Flash and it doesn't load the puzzle. I then go to Adobes site, download Flash, install it and then the crossword loads. Same thing when I tried to watch a movie on YouTube -- did not play. I then went to Adobes site, downloaded Flash, installed it and then the movie played.
Why does Safari "lose" Flash every now and then and I have to reload it?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Let me reiterate as I don't think you understand what I'm asking. I don't get a message from a site saying I need to download Flash. I go to USA Today crossword puzzle which uses Flash and it doesn't load the puzzle. I then go to Adobes site, download Flash, install it and then the crossword loads. Same thing when I tried to watch a movie on YouTube -- did not play. I then went to Adobes site, downloaded Flash, installed it and then the movie played.
Why does Safari "lose" Flash every now and then and I have to reload it?
That's really strange. You might try uninstalling Flash completely, then reinstall it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.