Need to know...iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Quasiperfectto, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Quasiperfectto macrumors member

How do I keep my computer on over night so it can download a program while I'm sleeping? I don't want the light of the screensaver on. I check the settings, but the computer still disconnects during the night. Thanks

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Screen savers are a trifling relic left over from the days of the CRT display. Since leaving an image up on a CRT for a prolonged time caused burn-in, screen savers were created to "save" your screen from this burn-in; they made images constantly move.

Now, with the proliferation of LCD monitors, screen savers are no longer necessary, and are in fact detrimental to the life of your display. Since LCDs are not subject to burn-in, the only thing a screen saver does is wear down the life of your monitor's backlight.

The best thing to do is simply tell your display to turn itself off before going to sleep instead of using a screen saver.

You can shut off the display or wait for it to turn itself off on its own.

Just press Control+Shift+Eject.

3. Quasiperfectto thread starter macrumors member

I probably did not explain myself clearly. My issue is that the computer shuts off during the night while I'm downloading something. How can I avoid this and keep it running?

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

where you set your screen to turn off after a certain amount of time set the computer to never turn off.

5. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Go to Energy Saver>Drag the bar to never on both sleep and display

6. Quasiperfectto thread starter macrumors member