Need to know the difference

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TomT321, Sep 30, 2009.

1. TomT321 macrumors member

I am new to Macs and when I bought my Imac G5 it had Tiger 10.4.11 installed on it. I bought a Leopard install disc off Ebay that I thought was a retail version but it turned out to be something called a CPU drop in dvd. It loaded just fine on my computer and I resold it thinking that it was reusable, do not want to "stiff" the new buyer, but need to know what the difference is between a retail disc and a CPU. Also does the CPU have any value or did I buy a one time shot?:confused:

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Drop-in disc means that the disc came with Mac which had Tiger preinstalled but was bought after Leopard was released. It's the same disc but doesn't have the nice box

3. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

So are they no longer doing the machine-specific OS install disks like they did with some of the iBooks and Powerbooks?

4. Shownarou macrumors regular

Those discs are the install discs that normally come with the purchase of a new computer, those operating system discs are machine specific, and are already installed on said computer. The drop in discs are just retail copies that are included because an operating system has just been released. The computers that have drop in discs included are factory installed with the prior operating system.