Need to "link" my Imac and Macbook pro somehow.....

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tiehen, Aug 10, 2008.

1. tiehen macrumors newbie

tiehen

Ok, I have a 10.5.4 OSX Imac and a the same in a new Macbook pro. My Imac is wired with USB to the printer and ethernet for the high speed Internet connection. I would like for my macbook to share this internet and printer wirelessly(to keep the clutter down) but just not sure how to do it. I have fumbled my way through the "bluetooth" connection and they successfully "paird" but says they are not connected. I startup the macbook and have no internet let alone printer sharing. Is there a way to do this easily to do I have to just run a printer cable and ethernet cable to the macbook as well? Any help would be appreciated.

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

System Preferences - Sharing - Internet Sharing

Set the options to Share from Ethernet to Airport, setup airport options to give a secure network i.e a password.

This will share your internet to your MB when you join the network from the MB. I am not sure what the printer will do but you might be able to access it that way.

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You'll also need to enable printer sharing on the iMac. This is found in Sharing, the same place that Internet Sharing is.

4. tiehen thread starter macrumors newbie

tiehen

OK, good I have internet on both now no probalem...just need to figure out how to share the printer that is hardwired (USB) to the imac with the MB...Thanks for the help thus far!