need to make a back up

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by JamesGorman, Feb 21, 2009.

1. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

hey everyone,

I need to make a back up but i dont have an external drive, and i cant afford one right now. I have my network with 3 other computers on it and im jsut wondering if there is a way i can make a back up on one of those computers (all windows xp) and than when i reinstall leopard be able to restore from there so i have all my settigns and documents? any suggestions will help and are greatly appreciated

Thanks,
    James Gorman

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

What I've done in the past, was plug my mac straight into a winXP computer via ethernet, get the private IP address on the mac side (169.xxx.xxx.xxx) and then add that as a network place in windows. Then go in, and copy whatever you need from the mac's HDD.

The only reason I did it this way, is because I couldn't get it working the other way around :p

3. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

see i have already done that, but id like to be able to do it all in one step like super duper does but i have no idea how to restore from that later on. if worse comes to worse ill just have to put everything back in after..but id like not to have to do that if possible.

4. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

5. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Well, in the particular case of Carbon Copy Cloner as well as SuperDuper (so by extension I would have to imagine any other app to clone Mac drives), neither can make clones to PC formatted drives. SuperDuper even explains it in a window that notes the inability of the other formats other than Mac OS Extended to "properly host HFS+ files along with all their attributes, resources and ownership".

So- to shorten the story I can't see a way to do anything along the lines of cloning, much less being concerned about restoration. I would really try to get the money together to manage to get an external- with externals of 1Tb offered for just a hair over $100 various places it really would simplify things a lot for you at a historically low price.

6. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

I figured that would be the case. It sucks right now cuz im a student without a job and theres really no way i can get the funds together until i get a job, which hopefully will be soon

7. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Yeah, that is too bad! Hope something turns up for you soon, because although not having the $$ for a backup sucks, losing your data sucks even more!:( Have anything you can sell off on Craigslist etc? Good luck to you!:)