Need to make a decision regarding exchange 21"

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Chuckstones, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Chuckstones macrumors regular

I know I already posted regarding an issue with my 21" base screen having a tint issue. (Pure white at top quarter of screen running into off white/yellowish at bottom 3/4).

But yesterday my advanced replacement arrived. It is significantly better. Although still has this issue to a certain degree!
    But. It has some backlight bleeding at bottom whereas the other has none!!

I have them both side by side on my desk at the moment trying to do a migration. Very unsuccessfully I might add!
    I know a lot of people will advise me to exchange again until I get a perfect one. But I just really can't be bothered and the way I see it nothing in life is perfect and I might get an even worse unit!

I keep switching between the 2 and am leaning towards the newer one with backlight bleed. As it is only really noticeable on black backgrounds, playing movies with black bars top and bottom!
    Whereas I will mainly be looking at white backgrounds. Safari, calender, email etc. and it was very distracting when moving around the screen!

I was just wondering if anyone had a similar quandary. Or could give me their thoughts.
    Well actually. Make my mind up for me!!:(

2. ericbreiter macrumors member

Only you can make the call. There are both peaches and lemons among the iMacs distributed, but I guess most are still in the fully acceptable region of screen quality. You paid top dollar for your new computer and you will probably use it for a few years. Is the backlight bleeding enough to annoy you? If so, exchange. It seems a big hassle now, but later you may regret it if you don't. Nobody will thank you for accepting a sub-par product.

I will not get mine until Jan 2, but when it does arrive I will inspect it from top to bottom (screen quality, scratches, noise level) and if it is not top-notch I will either demand a replacement or I will return it.

In addition, it's our job as consumers to complain when complaining is warranted. Driving up the warranty/replacement costs for a supplier is usually a good way to make them pay attention to quality.