Need to make a decision

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by selayan, Mar 14, 2011.

1. selayan macrumors newbie

Hi, I work for the dept of ed and I realized I can get a discount on purchasing a macbook pro. Now I am a .net developer and have been for some time. My new job which I will start at another company, does everything in Java. I am in need of a laptop in case I may have to complete work at home. Would a macbook pro be ideal for an entry level java developer. I know the company gives you desktops in the office but not sure they provide laptops. So I need some suggestions because I need to buy one by the end of next week if I do so.

2. 87am macrumors regular

By no means a seasoned programmer here, but I did take an entry level Java course in college. I was the only student using a Mac (a two year old one at that), while everyone else used the university-supplied Dell notebooks. I had no issues whatsoever; in fact when it came to compiling the code, my macbook would do so noticeably faster every time.

3. selayan thread starter macrumors newbie

Its just weird going from the .net side to open source. I've been working since out of school now for about 8 months as a web app developer and everything is in windows. I come in one day and on my desk in the office is a macbook so I've been using it to test my websites and I really enjoy it. I know at the new company they use Eclipse and most likely their desktops are windows. Only reason I would use the mac would be at home, travel, and in case I would need to code some stuff at home. I'm not sure of the discrepancy between windows JDK and Mac.

4. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

you wont have a problem ... if you do just install windows (using software like Mware or Parallel ) or you can have a dual boot... so every time you start you computer you will have a choice to start as PC (windows) or mac (OSX)

macs work both ways (windows and os x) unlike PCs

5. selayan thread starter macrumors newbie

I've heard that macs can run windows and emulate better than a pc can. Is this true? I won't mind setting up a dual boot, I have versions of windows I could load on there. Of course I imagine the saved user files remain on the mac hard drive if you use parallels?

6. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

with parallel you can access files on OS X side too ...

7. selayan thread starter macrumors newbie

I haven't had many co developers tell me that they prefer macs but I guess it depends on what you are developing, in this case open source it would not be a problem. If I ever go back to .NET I'm guessing installing windows and all the required .NET tools as a dual boot would also be alright. I expect this laptop to last me a while too.