Need to make Partition Bigger

redsoxfan320

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2011
Alright so a few months back I partitioned my 320 GB SATA, so that I had two partitions that main one for Lion set at 200 GB and the other 120 GB for Windows 7. Well within the last week I ran out of space on my Lion Partition and attempted to delete the Windows 7 and I did but every time I attempt to expand the 200 GB into the free space in the Disk Utility.

Not sure if anyone knows what to do. Thanks

Update:

Here is a screenshot, hope this helps

Attachments

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
located
Well within the last week I ran out of space on my Lion Partition and attempted to delete the Windows 7 and I did but every time I attempt to expand the 200 GB into the free space in the Disk Utility.
It seems, there is some info missing. What is it?

Btw, how did you remove the Windows 7 partition?

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Not sure if anyone knows what to do. Thanks
Through the bootcamp utility you should be able to remove the windows partition and then using the Disk Utility expand your partition. I've done it before w/o any issues. My only recommendation is when ever working with partitions - make sure you have a recent backup

redsoxfan320

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2011
It seems, there is some info missing. What is it?

Btw, how did you remove the Windows 7 partition?
I did it through Disk Utility and just erased the partition and then if I remember correctly I just deleted it. I will update the original post with a screen shot

----------

Through the bootcamp utility you should be able to remove the windows partition and then using the Disk Utility expand your partition. I've done it before w/o any issues. My only recommendation is when ever working with partitions - make sure you have a recent backup
The bootcamp utility only shows that I can install windows, with the remove windows bottom grayed out. Its already been removed and alright.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
I did it through Disk Utility and just erased the partition and then if I remember correctly I just deleted it. I will update the original post with a screen shot

----------

The bootcamp utility only shows that I can install windows, with the remove windows bottom grayed out. Its already been removed and alright.
you should be able to drag the bottom corner of Machintosh HD to the bottom of the grey area to expand it

http://macs.about.com/od/applications/ss/diskutilitysize_3.htm

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.