Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
I have been charged with updating a database that I developed several years ago, and would like to know if I can get this thing on the web. We have some dealers that don't have the same point of sale equipment that our retail stores have, so back in the IT days I just built a little database in Microsoft Access and sent it to them on CD. Here's how it currently works.

• Employee is presented with a form that has a dropdown list of our products.
  • Upon selecting the product a report is run which is based on a query.
  • The query asks for the color number.
  • The report displays the correct formula.
The reason I have to ask for the product number first, is because there are four sets of formulas, and the product you select determines which set gets queried by that specific report.

Can this be done fairly easily on the web? Any direction would be greatly appreciated :)

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
Cooknn said:
Can this be done fairly easily on the web? Any direction would be greatly appreciated :)

I don't really understand the application (why does color determine formula?) but yeah it can be done on the web. Your best bet is to convert Access to something more web-friendly (like mySQL). PHP is a nice programming environment for interfacing a website to mySQL.

If this is the route you want to take, google for PHP/mySQL. It's an extremely common pairing of technologies.

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
savar said:
I don't really understand the application (why does color determine formula?) but yeah it can be done on the web. Your best bet is to convert Access to something more web-friendly (like mySQL). PHP is a nice programming environment for interfacing a website to mySQL.

If this is the route you want to take, google for PHP/mySQL. It's an extremely common pairing of technologies.
It's a paint formula, so what color you choose determines how we mix the paint. Anyways, I finally got with IT at corporate. They're going to hook me up with a guru who's gonna help me get set up with Oracle. Sweet :p

Thanks for the response.

ChicoWeb

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2004
California
Cooknn said:
It's a paint formula, so what color you choose determines how we mix the paint. Anyways, I finally got with IT at corporate. They're going to hook me up with a guru who's gonna help me get set up with Oracle. Sweet :p

Thanks for the response.

Oracle for that? Talk about overkill.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.