Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sun surfer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
Help! I am finally going through some old files from when my other computer died and I had to be given the hd out of it and turned it into an external one. I never bothered trying to open some files until now.

I am finding that if .cwk is pages, it opens automatically. If that doesn't work, I can choose Numbers to open it, and if it's a spreadsheet it'll open. So I'm assuming the rest that won't open must be images? Some may be charts (a few have chart in the title).

Though it's taken me awhile to get to these, they could be important memories, I don't know, there's some reason I kept them on my old mac, so I need to see them.

I would try with preview or iphoto or something, but all of those are greyed out when I choose "open with". I also tried to find an online free image uploading service to upload them with (then I could save from online back to my computer) but no imagehost that I find will support .cwk. What do I need to do?

ETA - Argh, I have another problem now too! I just found a .cwk file that is password protected and it says it can't be imported. I've already put all these .cwks on my current computer a long time ago so I have no option but to open them with the applications on it like pages, numbers, etc. So how can I open the password file? I don't need to crack the password, I'm sure if I can get a prompt to open up I can figure it out, but it's not even giving me the option of entering a password.

Last edited:

sun surfer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
Hm, does that support .cwk? It didn't really say much on that page. It seems more for pc to mac converting but if it supports .cwk then it should work.

But $80? Woah! I'm finding a lot of files I can't open, so I'm willing to pay if I have to for something (though I'd much prefer free), but that seems steep, especially for a discontinued product that a lot of reviews underneath say don't convert their file type (although I didn't see anyone mention .cwk).

sun surfer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
No, I think I only transferred files and stuff like that over to this computer from that hd to save space, so I think I erased all programs like that reformatting the external hd. I've checked spotlight and yeah, no appleworks.

sun surfer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
I want to think you all for your help. I searched online and found a copy of appleworks (from your advice) to download. Once downloaded, everything works perfectly....and omg now I have my simple painting tool again which I always loved back then and was mad when they got rid of!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.