Need to pick SSD, my options.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MrGando, Jul 17, 2009.

1. MrGando macrumors member

Hi guys I want to pick an SSD

From what I have seen the Vertex 120 gb ( for less than 400 USD ) and the intel x-25 80 gb are my options.

80 too small for my taste :( ,

I have read a lot about this drives, but is the difference between them that high ?

Btw, are there other options that I should look at ?

Thanks!

2. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

My friends have the Intel drive. They love it. Intel's really the only company (imo) that's gotten the SSD right. I'd go with them.

3. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

4. Chad H macrumors 6502a

Chad H

I wonder who will have them available to order first? I would love to have one in my machine by late next week. :)

5. isaaclimdc macrumors 6502

isaaclimdc

6. Some Guy 555 macrumors regular

The difference is "that high." To put it in perspective look at it like this in comparison:

OCZ Vertex (MLC SSD)
    Sequential Read = 260mb/s
    Sequential Write = 180+ mb/s

Random Read = up to 5mb/s
    Random Write = ~2mb/s

Intel X25-M (MLC SSD)
    Sequential Read = 250mb/s
    Sequential Write = 70mb/s

Random Read = 50+mb/s
    Random Write = 30+mb/s

Intel X25-E (SLC SSD = 10x longer life than MLC)
    Sequential Read = 250mb/s
    Sequential Write = 170mb/s

Random Read = 60+mb/s
    Random Write = 40+mb/s

As pointed out by many members here and reviews on the net, random reads/writes are FAR more important than sequential reads/writes. As quoted by someone here "I would rather have 70mb/s random read than 500mb/s sequential read."

I would too and if you look at whats so good about the intel drives, it happens to be the very important spec: Random reads/writes. Over 10x the performance in random read/writes than almost every other drive out there which is a BIG difference.

Do yourself a huge favour, treat yourself and get an intel SSD. And yes, new ones are coming out on tuesday (just X25-M series ones).

7. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

thank you, i understand now.

8. antskip macrumors regular

actually, there are plenty of great non-Intel SSD's available right now that are neither poor performers nor cost too much. check out, eg. the following reviews:
    http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews.php?reviewid=799&pageid=1
    http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/16848
    http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/18195-ocz-vertex-120gb-ssd-review.html
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/ocz-summit-250gb-ssd-review/12
    the latest SSD's completely blow any HDD away, and are much more affordable than the Intel SSD's. If you haven't got one you don't know what you are missing. However positive the reviews they still do not come near to the real improvement you will see on any machine, for about three times the cost of a new HDD. It is like having a huge ram-drive...:)

9. Zillicah macrumors member

when will intel put our new sdd's?? 1,2,3,4,5 months? more? :D

10. vant macrumors 65816

How about in 4 days?

11. vant macrumors 65816

You'd be a fool if you bought a SSD before Intel's release.

12. Zillicah macrumors member

so in 4 days intel will come out with new ssd?

13. Some Guy 555 macrumors regular

Yes, it has been announced that on tuesday they will be available.

It is the new X25-M series that will be released and I must say they look impressive. At 320GB and under $700 there is NO SSD in the world that is either cheaper or faster.

14. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Announced by Intel?

Where did you hear it will be under 700 for the 320 Gb drive? I think I can swing that for the performance...

15. lavinci macrumors 6502

16. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

I have my fingers crossed for a surprise from intel and announce a 500GB laptop SSD. :)

17. Some Guy 555 macrumors regular

If they did that on tuesday (or soon) then its pretty much game over for all of the other SSD manufacturers. No way to keep up or compete with that.

I suspect intel will end up being the only SSD manufacturer in the future and have a monopoly (almost like from there processors, except AMD takes a big chunk out of that).

18. MrGando thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice, new intel stuff sounds awesome, I'm from Chile but will be in the US from July 20 to July 30. Hope I can pick a new Intel drive up with super fast shipping or something :)

Thanks to everyone .

19. puma1552 macrumors 601

I'm thinking if snow leopard reveals that the late 08 MBP 2.8 can in fact support 8 GB, I'm all over a 320 version of that Intel SSD.

If not, I'll just wait for Arrandale and get my SSD and 8 GB then.

20. antskip macrumors regular

If Intel does as rumored undercut all other SSD's price-wise it will undercut its own product by at least double that. Sounds excellent! We will all be winners! That would mean Intel 120GB SSD's for around 2X the price of a HDD. Are they really going to do that? It would indeed be a revolution in the market, and more than SSD's it would destroy much of the 2.5" HDD market. But what will Intel's new SSD prices be for each GB-level be? It should be very interesting. :)

ps if this report is right http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/18/...to-real?icid=sphere_blogsmith_inpage_engadget, then the expected new price will be nowhere near half the present price of Intel SSD's, so they would still be a long way from the affordability of many of the Samsung and Indilinx-driven SSD's, which are in many cases very good performers.

21. SephirothXR macrumors 6502

Hmm, I'm going to be a college freshman next year with a lower end 13" MBP coming in a week. I'm going Mac because of reliability, so I'm looking for this to last me 3 years. I'm wondering if I should get an SSD within 2 years when I can get a 256 HDD for maybe $200, or wait to buy the new MBPs with an SSD. That seems like the best option considering I'm sure that 3 years from now, a MBP might have Blu-Ray, USB 3.0, HDMI (not the mini display port), and whatever processor Intel is working on. I can also give the MBP to my parents whom I'm sure will like it.

22. macagain macrumors regular

23. vant macrumors 65816

Stay away from JMicron. STAY AWAY!

24. nightfly13 macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

+1 stay away